12 - Why is Everyone so Damn Good-Looking?

"You look so pretty, Mom," Jordyn told Autumn as they stood in front of the bathroom mirror. Jordyn reached up and brushed an invisible speck of fluff off of her mother's shoulder.

Autumn's mouth lifted in a lopsided smile. "I'm not going to the party to stand out," she reminded her daughter. "I'm there to serve blood cake and cookies to Corbin's rich friends."

Jordyn snorted and fixed one of her mother's ringlets. "Well, you'll look good doing it."

Autumn studied her reflection in the mirror. A maid had brought over the dress a few hours ago, which left little time to make alterations if needed. It was a sleek black number with a slight, off-the-shoulder style, a sweetheart neckline, and a tasteful, ruffled bottom that didn't make Autumn feel like she was trying to relive her teenage years. Simple, elegant, and unassuming—perfect for a woman serving desserts and pastries in a corner.

There was, however, one embellishment—one Autumn was hesitant to put on: a slim, silver chain that looped around her waist. She had a funny feeling that those tiny links were expensive.

"Here," Jordyn said, lifting the chain from its box. Before Autumn could protest, her daughter put it on. "Now, that really makes the dress."

Autumn snorted and shook her head. She'd thank Corbin later, but she had no intention of keeping them. Whatever they had going on, it was too early for these kinds of gifts.

Glancing down at her watch, Autumn noticed that it was time to head up to the mansion. The party didn't start until 8 PM, but she needed to be there by 5 to help the catering staff set up her station.

"Grab my flats, would you?" she asked Jordyn. As the teen darted into Autumn's bedroom to retrieve her shoes, Autumn took one last look in the mirror. Her chestnut hair was gathered over one shoulder at Jordyn's assistance; make-up simple and clean, with no bright lipstick or winged eyeliner.

"Here." Jordyn tossed the shoes at Autumn's feet.

"Thanks," Autumn said, ruffling Jordyn's hair. "Now, remember—"

Jordyn laughed. "Dinner is in the fridge, keep the doors locked and my bedroom door open."

"And make sure you have your phone by you," Autumn added with a semi-serious wag of her finger.

"Yes, Mom."

"C'mere, kid." Autumn reached out and grabbed her daughter, hugging her tight. She kissed the top of her head. "Don't miss me too much."

Jordyn snickered and wrinkled her nose. Grabbing her purse, Autumn slipped on the flats and went downstairs. Locking the cottage door behind her, she slowly walked up the drive to the mansion. Over the last few days, she'd noticed a dozen or more sleek black cars with tinted windows arriving at Corbin's house. On the nights Corbin joined her and Jordyn for dinner and a movie, he appeared increasingly agitated. When Autumn gently inquired about what was bothering him, he flashed a tight grin and said he would only be happy when this whole party was over.

The guests kept mostly to the mansion, but Autumn did catch one or two pausing at the top of the rise and peering down at the cottage. Would you look at that—a poor person! she imagined them saying.

All the lights in the main house were on as Autumn walked up the front steps. Benjamin the footman met her at the door. Large vases filled with white roses, lilies, and tulips graced every flat surface. She was amazed at how quickly the staff had transformed the place. It didn't look like any trace of Corbin's log cabin décor remained.

"This way, Ms Milford," Benjamin said, gesturing towards the left side of the staircase. Across the foyer, Autumn noticed that the ballroom doors were wide open; from what she could see, the theme was apparently red and silver: red table cloths and chairs with silver vases, flowers, and table settings. Appropriate, given the blood she'd baked into their desserts. Staff members hustled back and forth, setting up tables and making last-minute arrangements.