Bite Marks

It was 6 pm and people had already started to fill up the large room in the Beifong compound. The twins of course were the main attraction, with the rest of the Beifong family still being supporting characters. Everyone else however were nothing more than background characters. Kuvira wasn't sure how she fit into the mix but she would see for herself soon enough.

The twins were already off socializing with anyone willing to listen. Bataar Junior wasn't invited, much to the chagrin of a particular group of ladies from Zaofu. Opal was off in some corner chatting it up with both Bolin and Mako who had so graciously made the trip from Republic city just for this. And of course Huan was sulking in another corner, trying to avoid any human contact at all. He could try to avoid anyone he wanted, but Kuvira was not so easily avoidable. She walked up behind the younger man and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Rough night already?" She asked empathetically. He huffed a bit causing his long hair to go all over his face.

"You don't even know the half of it," he stated. He seemed to be already over the party. Granted he never had been much of a party person.

"If you want to leave, go ahead. I can tell your mother that you weren't feeling well and decided to head back to your studio for some peace," Kuvira replied, trying to ease his overstimulated self.

"And why do you think she would listen to you?" This question caught Kuvira off guard and made her stumble through some reply.

"I don't think she has any reason not to listen to her dance protege or the captain of her royal guard," she said. After hearing the lame answer it clicked in Huan's head.

"Oh I think I understand now. You think she's going to believe you because you're together. Got it, can't argue with that," he replied as he stood up. Kuvira's heart dropped to her stomach and she quickly grabbed him by the shirt and pulled him out of the room.

"Explain yourself RIGHT NOW!" She whisper yelled after shoving Huan against the nearest wall. She wasn't trying to hurt him, she was just scared and frustrated. Huan took no offense to this however, as he had grown up with Kuvira and knew how she usually acted.

"I'm not stupid you know. Anyone with eyes can see how you look at each other. I don't know the whole situation but it seems that my mom isn't cheating on my dad. She still looks at him the same way she looks at you. I frankly don't care to know, I just know it to be true. And don't worry, I won't tell your secret. It's none of my business as long as neither of my parents are hurt," he said in a rather nonchalant tone. Kuvira let go of his shirt and sat down on the ground contemplating what to do next as he made his way back to his studio.

"It's that obvious? People can tell just by one look how we feel about each other?" She thought to herself. "Surely he's just extra observant? The quiet ones always are. No, there's no way anyone else could possibly know." She tried to reassure herself that no one else knew but it did very little to actually calm her nerves. Still she stood up and straightened herself out, determined to make it through this celebration for Suyin and Suyin only.

She marched back into the ballroom and was promptly greeted by the avatar, thanking her once again for her efforts in the rescue mission from the Red Lotus.

"It's no problem really," she said sheepishly. "If you'll excuse me I have someone I need to see." Kuvira excused herself before Korra could say anymore, knowing how much of a chatter box all of the most recent avatars had been. The young earthbender roamed the room for a bit before settling down at a table near the Beifong's. Opal and Bolin had moved away from the avatar's group and closer to the Beifong's table presumably to be more alone.

Kuvira was the only one at her table and she seemed quite lonely. No one came to socialize or ask how she had been. No guards, no dancers, and no Beifongs. She had been alone for the majority of the party until a familiar warm hand placed itself lovingly on her shoulder. Instinctively she leaned into the grip of her beloved and let out a happy sigh.