Mind is a Prison

A sharp knock on the door broke Kuvira out of her slumber.

"Kuvira? Suyin has requested your presence." A gentle voice said through the door. The earthbender groaned in response, but she did eventually roll out of bed. She decided against a complex outfit and settled on a simple robe and some loose fitting pants. She rounded the corner into her small bathroom to aggressively brush her teeth and lazily braid her long hair. Her fingers were sore from braiding it every day and a brief thought ran through her mind. Should she cut it? "Maybe another day," she thought to herself. After getting ready for the long and tedious day before her, she headed out to greet the guard.

"Any idea what this is about?" She asked as they walked towards the Beifong compound.

"No idea," the guard responded with a shrug. They continued to walk in silence until they reached the matriarchs office.

"Su! She's here," the guard called out.

"Come in!" Kuvira nodded at the guard once before stepping inside.

"So what's going on?" The younger of the two asked. Suyin quickly stood up from her desk and removed her reading glasses.

"It's good to see you after the debacle last night. I hope you slept well?" Kuvira's stance was closed off and almost defensive. Suyin knew she shouldn't have expected anything else, but still it hurt.

"I slept fine. What did you request me for?" She asked again, this time more direct. Trying not to lose her patience, Su took a deep breath.

"I was hoping you and I could spend some time together. I have a relatively free day and I chose to spend it with you. If you're okay with it, that is," the matriarch responded. Kuvira thought for a moment before hesitantly agreeing.

"What will we do?" She asked, her tone softening.

"Whatever you'd like, my dear."

Those words. Those goddamn words. The feeling Kuvira felt on the balcony hit her like an anvil as she stood there, pretending to be lost in thought.

"W-What do you normally like to do on your days off?" She asked, evading the question.

"Sometimes I dance, or visit my children." Suyin got quiet at the mention of her children that did not live in Zaofu. Truthfully, she still loved her kids regardless of what they had done. But still, there was part of her that would never fully forgive them for things they had done in the past. After her moment of thought about her children, she began her next thought. "There's actually a new spa that opened up in one of the neighboring compounds I've been meaning to go to. I believe it's even got a salon in it as well. We could go together if you'd like?" Kuvira's heart was beating out of her chest at this point.

"Why not?" She thought to herself. Regardless of any tension between the two, a day off was a nice thought.

"I suppose that would be alright," she replied tentatively. Truly she was nervous to spend the morning and possibly even afternoon with her old mentor. She was confused by whatever it was she was feeling and she did NOT wish to bring any of those potential feelings back. Still, the way Suyin's face lit up at her response made her heart flutter. "Will it just be the two of us?"

"It would be...unless you're afraid to be alone with me, my dear," she chuckled.

"W-Why would I be afraid to b-be alone with you?" In a matter of seconds Suyin was on her feet and leaning down, just inches away from the younger woman's face. She swiftly grabbed Kuvira's chin and tilted her head so that their lips were dangerously close.

"I don't know sweetheart...why would you?" In that moment Kuvira could feel her soul leaving her body. She became very close to just closing the gap between them and ruining everything she had worked so hard for. She could feel herself leaning in and almost losing herself in the warm touch. The younger metalbender's last bit of self restraint kicked in at the last second, and she pulled away feeling very embarrassed. Her face was hot and red and the reaction drew a small laugh out of Suyin.