One

Adelia Díaz
~irl~

Before attending boarding school i had always heard some stereotypes such as; it's meant for troublemakers, you'll be so unhappy, it's so boring, people who go there are mainly white.

And i'll be honest and admit it freaked me out. I didn't want to have a boring high school experience, I didn't want to be the only latina at school or feel unsafe with all the troublemakers around.

So i think you can imagine how anxious i felt when my parents told my sister she was going to boarding school in Andover. That's half an hour away from Carlisle, which is where we live. I honestly thought i'd be able to go to our local high school but three years later, my parents sat my brother and i down in our dads home office and told us we are going to boarding school. Then the same thing happened to my little brother a year after us.

I was terrified even though my sister, Victoria, shut those stereotypes down to me. It didn't calm my anxiety until the first time i stepped foot on the campus of Phillips Academy.

I saw people smiling, having the time of their life. This school was nothing like i expected. The best part though? My two bestfriends also got admitted to the school with me. We've shared a dorm room between the three of us for the entire three and a half years we've been here.

Was there trouble makers? A few but none of them gave the school a bad image.

Was the school as bland as expected? No. It's actually quite diverse.

So what made my parents choose boarding school?

A lot of things actually. For starters, my parents wanted a quiet house since there was four teenagers around. However, they aren't empty nesters. William, the youngest of the four, didn't want to dorm so he lives at home with our parents. Junior, the second oldest, didn't like the idea of having to share a room with someone when he has his own room at home. So he doesn't.

And Vicky is living at home because she's a Harvard commuter. I don't understand how she can drive for so long everyday but she chose.

My parents could afford to pay the tuition of four kids at the most known boarding school, so they did it.

But boarding school was my dads idea. Well stepfather technically, Junior and William are his too.

This school is nice and all but we do have uniform. Honestly the staff doesn't care what we have on as long as it's formal and either navy, black or white. So no one wears crop tops, sweats or jeans inside the actual school buildings but in our "dorms" we can obviously wear whatever we want.

Back to the dorms, my roommates are Lizzie and Kayla, my absolute best friends. We've been friends for about eleven years and i was so excited when i found out they were coming here too.

People say trios never work out but nothing has or ever will come between us. Eleven years strong, living together, and were basically the same person. We're basically triplets at this point, very inseparable. I mean we do our own shit but when we're out we go together.

"Addy, Lucas said for you to answer your phone." I smiled at Liz and grabbed my phone. It was lit up with his name so i let it ring a bit before answering.

"Yes Lucas?" I sighed, putting my phone to my ear.

"Let's go eat?" No.

"I cant, i have to get ready to go back home for the weekend." He groaned. "Just ask Ray or something i don't know. But i can't."

"Okay bye then." I hung up without saying bye.

Lucas is my ex boyfriend. We dated for a little less than a year but ended as friends. He's a good guy but too clingy at times, much more clingy now that we aren't together. Me and him broke up three months ago but never told my parents since they loved him. They were planning our wedding, any chance they got they'd mention us being together forever.

I know how bad it'll sound but i did love him but was never in love with him, that's why we broke up. I had to tell him i didn't see us going anywhere so why waste each others time when he can find a nice girl who sees a future with him and will be in love with him. He asked me so many times what he did wrong and it made me sad that he blamed himself but i just felt trapped.

I stopped being sad when he got upset and basically blackmailed me into accepting a deal from him.

Everyone at school has been under so much pressure and been stressed because the main sport at school has been losing the games. Our lacrosse team is badass but they haven't been on top of their game. Thank God cheer season is done though i would've been a lot more stressed if i had to deal with cheer right now.

Anyways the lacrosse team is on the verge of not being able to play in finals if they lose the next game which is next Thursday. If they lose then Phillips Academy doesn't get to play against our rival school, Somerville High School.

Their team is so good, i've watched the youtube videos. If our team keeps up how they've been playing then the top player of Somerville is capable of beating us all on his own. That'd be fun to see to be honest but it'd suck for our school.

"Do you guys think the guys will win on Thursday?" I asked out of nowhere. To be honest i don't care but if we don't win i'll never hear the end of it from Lucas.

"Uh... i think if they try their best they'll do good." I nodded at Liz

"I hope they fucking win bro i wanna see Somerville."  Kayla spoke

"I wanna see their number one for myself." I said

"Dude Sturniolo is fucking dope have you seen him play Liz?"

"Fuck yeah, the guys here talk shit but i bet him and his brothers on their own would fuck their shit up." We all laughed

"No because they would."