|20|

"Freya, you can't catch me!" a girl playfully shouts, as she runs away. Trees and flowers surround us. I run as fast as my little legs can carry me. "You just wait and see Lexi!" I shout back. She twists her head to see if I'm catching up to her. We are identical, aside from her blonde hair.

I jump up, my heart races. I can't seem to get a peaceful night of sleep nowadays. Did I once know her? Why does this dream almost feel like a memory? And if I did once know her, then where is she now?

Taking a deep breath, I knock on the door separating Talia's and I's bedroom.

"Come in!" She shouts.

"I can't sleep," I mumble, shutting the door after Ghost walks in.

"Was it that dream again?" She asks, popping her head from under her blankets.

"No, it wasn't. This one almost felt like a memory." I tell her as I lay in bed next to her.

"Anything is better than that dream." She says as Ghost jumps into her bed.

"It was the same girl from the other dream."

"Alexandra?" Talia questions.

"Yea. We were young and running around without a care in the world. I even had a nickname for her, Lexi."

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if that werewolf is real, then Lexi is most likely real." she shakes her head.

"That's crazy talk! There's no way I have a twin!" My heart races.

"Maybe we should go talk to your mom?" she asks.

"No!" I quickly shout. "I'm not ready to face her."

"But this, Lexi, could be in big trouble, and your mom could be the only one with answers."

She's right, except I don't want to go back home. Back to the place that makes me feel like an outsider, like I don't belong. But if I really have a sister, I need to make sure that she's safe. Ignatius made it crystal clear that he was and still is after us.

"We should go talk to her," I tell Talia, ignoring the nerves that grow bigger with every second that passes.

"So go get dressed and meet me downstairs." She orders.

"I'm 18 now. She can't force me to stay home." I chant to myself, trying to give myself the courage to talk go talk to mom. I put on some black sweatpants and a white crop top. "I think it's for the best if you stay here, Ghost".

"Are you sure you'll be fine?"

"I won't be staying there long," I tell him as I force my legs to move. Afraid if I stay in my room another second, I'll change my mind and go hide under my bed instead. Talia is waiting by the door, twirling her car keys in between her fingers.

"Let's go," she says, once she notices me. Quietly, I follow her to the car, sweat forming on my forehead. I'm not mentally ready to phase mother yet. I throw my hair in a ponytail. Mom probably won't even give me time to ask her a question because she'll be yelling at me the whole time.

"Earth to Freya! Are you going to get in the car or just stand there?"

"Is it too late to turn back?"

"You knew this moment would come. You can't ignore your mom forever," she advises. I hate that she's right about this.

"I was just hoping that moment would come at a much later time." I tell her, getting into her car.

"You need to stop worrying. And I'll be right there to help you if things go south." She smiles, as we start the drive back home.

"That's easier said than done." I huff as we pass the most breathtaking field of flowers. The familiar cliffs come into view, but I don't panic this time. We're back in the human world. Everything almost looks lifeless. The trees are less green. The smell of the flowers is less strong.

"We're home." Talia jokes as she parks in front of the house I grew up in. The house that doesn't feel like home anymore.

"Mom's home." I moan, pointing to her car.

"Where else would she be?" she remarks, getting out of her car/

"Let's just get this over with." I take a deep breath and slowly make my way to the doorway. My hands hover above the doorbell before pressing it. There's no turning back now.

The door slowly creaks open and my heart almost jumps out of my chest. "I've been worried sick, Freya!" mother shrieks.

"I'm sorry." I quickly mumble, not knowing how to act in front of her now. After all the lies I know she's been feeding me, what am I supposed to say?

"Come in." mom breathes, her raging face softening a bit.

I look over at Talia, and she gives me an encouraging smile.

"Are you home alone?" I ask.

"Your dad's at work and your brother is hanging out with a friend." she continues.

I nod my head, and we follow her into the kitchen.

"What happened to the necklace I gave you?" Her eyes widen.

"I know you've been lying to me."

"What are you talking about?" she asks.

"I know everything and that I'm a magical being."

"I didn't want you finding out like this," she says, as tears form in her eyes. I'm taken aback. She's usually good at hiding her true emotions. She rarely cries.

Talia is the first to sit. The usually loud and bubbly girl is now silent. Speechless.

"I want to start by saying I'm sorry, Talia. I haven't always treated you well, and despite my reasons, they don't excuse my behavior."

"Th-thanks," Talia stutters.

"So what's the truth?" I ask mom, fidgeting with my ring.

"It all started with a prophecy. Identical twins will finally be born and they will be the most powerful witches the world has ever seen. Everyone saw that as a joke until my older sister gave birth to twin girls."

"Identical twins haven't been born for thousands of years!" Talia gasps.

"Let me finish." Mom urges.

"Sorry," Talia whispers.

"But these twins are also tribrids. Witch, vampire, and werewolf."

"So are you a hybrid?" I ask, not sure if I really want the answer.

"My sisters and I are just witches. Your father was one of the first hybrids."

"So I'm a super-powerful freak. That can't be true!"

I quickly stand, unable to trust my own ears. Adopted? This has to be another lie. My dad is one of the first hybrids to ever exist? My stomach is in knots. I feel dizzy. Placing my hand on the table, I attempt to steady myself. My knees buckle as my vision fades to black.

 My knees buckle as my vision fades to black