|26|

"Lexi?" I whisper as I approach the cell she's in. Being mentally prepared this time, I study my surroundings. It seems to be a former police station. "You shouldn't be here," she murmurs. "I'm going to rescue you," I state, looking at her. She barely resembles the girl I saw in the photo. She looks awful. "Do you know where they brought you?" I quickly ask, afraid I'll wake up any second. "It's an abandoned building by the river." She whispers as she reaches her arm out of the small space between the bars and grabs my shoulder. "Talia, someone's coming. You need to wake up now."

I wake up gasping for air. My heart beats so fast I think it just might beat out of my chest. I quiet down, remembering I'm back at the hotel sharing a bed with Talia. Cam is asleep in the one beside ours.

Grabbing my phone, I check the time: 6:45 am. Knowing I won't be going back to sleep soon, I walk over to the desk and open the map on my laptop. I open a notepad and write things I know, afraid I'll forget when some time passes.

Old Police Station

Near the Delaware River

Abandoned

In hopes, I will come across something helpful I start to search on my laptop. Good thing I decided to bring it with me. I start googling simple things like out-of-business shops and abandoned buildings. Searching all of these buildings one by one will take forever. I need to shorten the list.

Finally, I search old police station by the Delaware River. A Reddit article pops up that could be of interest. According to a person, there is an old abandoned police station by the Canal State Park.

"What are you up to?" Caelum quietly walks over.

I gasp, not expecting anyone to be awake. "Don't sneak up on me like that." My hand swiftly flies up to my heart which beats out of my chest.

"I could feel how scared and worried you are, so I came to see why." He shrugs like it's normal to feel other people's feelings.

"Well, I had this dream, maybe astral projections," I inform, handing the notes. "I think they may be over there." I point to the spot on the map with my free hand.

"Did it ever cross your mind that this could be a trap?"

"We don't have another choice. We can't just leave them there."

"You're upset, as you should be, but we need to at least call for help. We can't show up without knowing who is there. How many?"

"She's in terrible condition."

"I'm sure she is, but I don't want you to be in the cell beside hers. We need more information." Caelum tries to reason. "How powerful are they? Do you have any of those answers?"

"I don't have those answers." My shoulders slump. He is right. I mess with the ring on my finger. I can't just let things be. My aunt could very well be dead. Who knows what they plan on doing to Lexi?

"Just give me one day, Freya. I could have people over here by early tomorrow morning. Promise me you won't do anything rash." He pleads.

I face him, but I realize what a big mistake that was. He is mere inches from my face. One small move and our lips will touch. I take a deep breath. Is he this close to me so he can blindside me into getting the answer that

he wants? No, he's not that kind of person.

Eventually, I give in. "I promise."

"I'm going to call my beta and have him send members of my pack and allies we have in the magical community," he informs. "Be on high alert. Someone could be waiting for you on any corner of the street. Try not to go alone." He cautions me as he leaves the hotel.

One day, twenty-four hours is a short time, but when it comes to life and death feels like a lifetime.

"Hellpp ME!"

I turn to look at the still asleep Talia. Did someone ask for help, or was it my imagination?

"Help me. PLEASE!"

I walk over to the door, my hand hovering by the door handle before grabbing it. The warning that Caelum comes to mind. If someone was trying to hurt me they wouldn't be asking for help. Right?

I make sure the key card is in my pocket in case I get locked out. I slowly take a peek outside before fully exiting the hotel room.

"Help me." I hear the voice again, but they don't sound sincere this time.

Quickly looking to where the sound of the voice is coming from I notice someone. My eyes widen and sweat beads on my forehead.

"Amore? What are you doing here?"