Chapter 8

Kylo's POV:

Kylo woke up with a start, the sun peeking through the window blinding him for a moment as he rolled to face the back of the couch and groaned. His back protested the movement, feeling stiff and uncomfortable from the hard couch beneath him.

Originally when Kylo had bought the furniture, it had been for style more than comfort and he never thought he'd see the day where he seriously regretted that decision. His whole body ached and complained, cursing him for his crush and his near-sightedness when it came to his goals.

Sure, you were in Kylo's bed, but he was not there with you, and Kylo's body was proof of that, popping and groaning and creaking as he turned back around and sat up. Kylo had crumpled himself into a ball in order to fit on the couch in the first place and he was sure he'd be paying for that the rest of the day.

But not only the rest of today, but the rest of the following days as well. Three to four days , Maz had said. Three to four days of this unseen torture. Was it too much to buy a small cot of sorts for his office?

A loud meow steered Kylo away from his thoughts as Babu appeared before him, looking the very picture of health and wellness and refreshing sleep. Babu had appeared from Kylo's bedroom, where he had undoubtedly enjoyed a restful night on his favorite pillow, curled up and unaware of his owner's discomfort just a few paces away.

"Traitor," Kylo hissed, even though his tone came out more playful than anything. He couldn't begrudge the cat for sleeping in the same room with you. If it had been up to Kylo, he would have done the same.

"Let's get some breakfast, Babu, and see if we can't rouse your new friend from bed with the smell of bacon and eggs."

***

Kylo wasn't the world's best cook, but after a whole life of living in solitude, he had learned a thing or two. He set to work on the pancake batter first, resolved to show his culinary aptitude. If there was one thing Kylo was good at, it was feeding himself and his endless appetite.

As Kylo worked, he reflected on the previous night, finding himself smiling as he recalled a funny story or two that you had told, remembering the way your face lit up as you talked, how your hands moved so expressively, and your smile seemed to come naturally.

Kylo had felt at ease with you, speaking more than he had originally intended to, leaning towards you as if you were magnetic. He had surprised himself with how late he'd stayed up, how much he had shared, and how painless it had all felt.

As someone who was introverted and a bit awkward, Kylo had really only felt dominant and comfortable at his job. Research, knowledge, and debate had always been passions of his - all components of being a lawyer.

He loved solving the puzzles of his cases, finding the right combinations of words to bring his team a win. Kylo never had a problem as long as he was prepared. This confidence rarely translated into social situations, however, where one had to think and react to things on the spot.

Kylo often needed time to process information, something that often led to awkward pauses and lulls in conversations while his brain tried to keep up with whatever was happening in front of him. It was easy to get tongue-tied and to make a fool of himself when he didn't feel in control.

Kylo hadn't felt comfortable around someone apart from a professional setting ever . That is, until yesterday.

He wasn't sure what it was about you that made him feel relaxed enough to loosen up, even though his heart had been hammering away for most of the night, nervous about messing up the casual, almost friendly feel between the two of you.