Chapter 9

Your POV:

"Good girl," he'd said. Twice now. Twice now and once with a wink .

If you hadn't been certain of whether or not to still be utterly confused about Kylo Ren and how to act around him, today had solidified it. Kylo had been a picture-perfect gentleman all day, carrying your bags and treating you to lunch, taking you everywhere and even dropping an absurd amount of money on things you had wanted to buy (and some you had wanted to put back but he'd insisted you take anyway).

Though you now felt more indebted to him than ever, you somehow also felt more comfortable with him than you had so far in your working relationship. You'd chatted seamlessly all day and the silences hadn't felt awkward or the conversation forced.

You didn't know how to feel about everything - the gifts, the good company, the goddamn wink. And you couldn't even process it by yourself truly because here you were, on his bed, surrounded by him and his smell and his things even though he wasn't physically in the room with you.

It was overwhelming, but for some reason, it didn't bother you as much as maybe it should have. This was the first time that someone had cared for you beyond the bare minimum, and the first time you hadn't felt like an obligation for getting things you needed.

It was the breath of fresh air you'd been dying for - you just never realized you'd find it with Kylo fucking Ren.

***

By the time night rolled around and it was dark, you still found yourself lying awake in his bed. You were showered and in his clothing once more, surrounded by his lush blankets and with a purring Babu curled up next to you.

You had work tomorrow and had been making a concentrated effort to sleep for some time now, but your mind kept going back to today's outing and replaying it on loop. You were blushing and giggling quietly to yourself like a schoolgirl, allowing yourself to feel all of the emotions you'd had to hide away throughout the day so Kylo wouldn't have been weirded out by your incessant smiling or obvious attraction.

You sat up in bed, ready to pace around the room or find and do literally anything to get you nice and tired. Instead, what you found was light coming from underneath the crack of the bedroom door. Maybe Kylo had forgotten to turn the light off before bed?

You got up, now armed with a mission: energy conservation - or rather, anything that could possibly distract you until your mind finally realized how late it was and decided to go to sleep.

You tiptoed towards the door, pressing your ear to it to check for any noises. You didn't want to walk in on Kylo Ren sleepwalking around or whatever busy, stressed lawyers did in the middle of the night.

When you didn't hear anything, you opened the door quietly and made your way out into the hallway. You weren't prepared for what you were met with: Kylo Ren (still sans apron), cooking in the dead of night.

He looked over at you, seemingly just as shocked as you at seeing each other at this time of night. "Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to wake you," he called out, voice somewhat hushed as if that was still something he was trying to avoid.

"No worries. It's alright, I wasn't really sleeping anyway," you answered, matching his quiet tone as you padded out into the living room and made your way into the kitchen, peering over his side to see what he was cooking.

"Do you usually cook - ah - ramen," you pretended to look at your nonexistent watch, "at three in the morning?"

Kylo chuckled, nodding his head as he stirred the delicious-smelling soup. "I'm a late-night snacker. Hazard of the job, I'm afraid. Care to join?"