Chapter 13

Your POV:

You lay in your bed, freshly shaved and showered, rubbing your legs along the soft sheets that Kylo had bought you this past week, thinking, and not for the first time, about getting a cat.

Your phone was resting on your stomach, opened up to the new picture you'd received just a few moments ago: a yawning Babu on his side, laying in the last patch of sunlight streaming through the windows. It was captioned with " stole some of my ramen and not even guilty about it ".

The adjustment to living by yourself had been hard, especially when you kept waking up late at night to an empty apartment. You'd been conditioned to rise midway through the night with Kylo for your early morning snacks but instead had ended up waking alone time and time again, tossing and turning and trying to force yourself back to sleep instead.

Every time it happened had been a sobering affair, leaving you even more restless than usual and tired in the mornings. That is, until Kylo began to send pictures in those late hours, unprompted and only a few days after you'd moved out. It was almost as if he'd sensed you'd been missing him.

The photos were never of him and almost always of food or Babu, but either way, it had become a comfort to you to wake up to a picture of pizza or a cuddly pile of fur all curled up on a pillow. On the rare nights you didn't find a picture waiting for you when you turned to your phone at those odd hours, you could always be sure that it was on its way.

The way your schedules still synced up so well even while apart was a little eerie, but you weren't one to question such a gift. Just like you weren't about to turn away any of the others that kept coming - such as Kylo's short, formal texts that slowly developed in length or his cryptic and often unrelated use of emojis after you had taught him one afternoon of their existence.

And while you lived alone, you weren't alone all the time, not really.

Kylo, true to his word, had taken up to coming over every so often to work on what he called his "projects", the leaky sink and the wobbly table to name a few. What he didn't know was that you called an actual handyman after Kylo left most days to actually fix the problem.

This was especially so after his latest failed attempt at fixing the sink had led to the hot and cold knobs being switched and the pressure from the faucet decreasing to the point of barely being a dribble. At least it had stopped leaking.

Much to your chagrin, Ren also continued to treat you, insisting on taking you out to buy decorations or updated furnishings. You had come to accept his help over the weeks, particularly since it allowed you to spend more time with Kylo - and maybe also so you could control what Kylo spent his money on for you.

Though he had elegant and extravagant tastes that clearly spoke to his own comforts, his choices tended towards being a bit clinical and sterile, not to mention outlandishly expensive. Not quite what you envisioned for your own cozy space.

There had been a period of time within the second week or so when packages kept mysteriously showing up at your apartment, listed with no return address. Upon opening them you'd discover them filled with an item you'd mentioned in passing as being something you desired, except with a twist. The boxes always contained the latest editions with major upgrades, more buttons than you knew what to do with, or higher thread counts than you'd ever imagined.

It didn't take long to figure out who your secret benefactor was, even if Kylo vehemently denied it with pink-tinged ears and ruddy cheeks. A long discussion had ensued where you had tried your best to explain to Kylo why these presents were unnecessary and that you could take care of yourself, all while Kylo tried to feign innocence before finally admitting the truth.