The Market

TW: Slight mentions of ab*se

You wake up to, well, nothing. You sit up in your new bed, surprised yet relieved to have had a full nights rest. You shudder at the memory of being woken up to the sound of a gong every morning at sunrise.

Slowly, you swing your feet over the edge of your bed and stretch. You look at yourself in the mirror, your silken nightgown wrinkled from sleeping. At last, you brush a few knots out of your (H/C) hair and head down the hall.

You find Tengen and his wives eating in a dining room, and the smell of the food alone causes your mouth to water. "(Y/N)!" Tengen calls out, "Good morning!"

"Good morning Tengen-sama," you reply, catching yourself before you bow.

"Please, take a seat!" Hinatsuru says to you, patting a spot on the floor beside her.

"Yes, thank you," you reply, sitting down.

"Are you hungry?" Suma asks you, wide-eyed.

"Yes..." you reply, resisting the urge to stuff your face into the food.

"Please, help yourself!" Tengen replies through a mouthful of food. He really does lack manners...

You tentatively grab a plate and scoop yourself a small helping of rice. "Don't tell me that's all you want," Makio says, "Here, gimme that." The woman snatches the plate out of your hand, adding another heap of rice. She also adds grilled fish, fried egg, zucchini, seaweed, and a bowl of miso soup.* "There," she says at last.

Now red from embarrassment, you set the plate down in front of you and begin eating. At first, you take small, delicate bites, but the food is so good that... you end up stuffing your face, without minding your table manners.

"(Y/N)," Tengen says, causing you to look up from your meal. Quickly, you wipe the crumbs off your face and stop eating. "I need to go to the Demon Slayer Headquarters today to discuss something with the Master, and I was wondering if you'd care to join me?"

No thank you, a place full of armed men? I'll pass. "Yes, I'd love to."

Tengen lets out a hearty laugh. "Do you know one thing that I picked up after years of being a Demon Slayer?"

"What's that?" you ask, curiosity getting the better of you.

"The ability to tell when someone's lying."

"I-."

He cuts you off, and turns to his wives, "Could you leave us for a moment?"

The three women stand up in unison and hurry out of the room, leaving you alone with this intimidating man. You brace yourself for whats to come, already anticipating the feel of his fist. He speaks in a soft tone, but it still causes you to flinch. "(Y/N)."

He gently lifts up your chin so that you're looking him in the eye. "I don't want you to feel the need to lie to me. About anything, ever."

"I- I'm sorry," you reply quickly. Any minute now, you brace yourself, he's gonna hit me. Only he doesn't. Instead, brushes a loose strand of hair out of your face.

"I don't know what you've been through," he says softly, "But you're safe here with me."

"Thank you..." you reply quickly looking down at your feet.

"You don't have to go if you don't want to. If you'd rather, Hina's going to the market, or you could stay home with the other two."

You feel your face light up. "The market?" You hadn't been allowed to go since you were a child, and at the time it had felt almost magical.