Chapter Twelve

During the next two days, Apollo and I spent almost all waking hours together.

It was like we were ten again. Only with just a little more suave and sophistication. Just a little.

On Wednesday morning, he knocked on my bedroom door and sauntered in as I sat up, desperately blinking the sleep out of my eyes.

"Good morning, Miss Vanguard," he said chirpily.

He was already dressed. Nothing fancy, just trousers and a sweater over a long-sleeve tee with the sleeves semi-rolled up.

"Ugh, and what if I'd had a man in my bed?" I muttered, not yet awake enough to have put my filter in place.

I looked at him quickly as he dropped onto the bed beside me. But, if he thought that was a telling thing for me to have said, he didn't mention it.

"Then, there'd be two of us," he said with a wink, like he knew that would never happen.

I held the covers up my appropriately clothed chest. "Well, what if I'd been naked?" I tried.

His grin widened. "I've seen you naked."

I rolled my eyes and batted him. "We used to share a bath when we were five," I answered.

He chuckled roughly. "We could share one now."

I looked at him, not quite sure if he was serious. From the look in his eyes, he wasn't quite sure if he was serious or not either. He patted my leg and stood up hurriedly.

"Come on," he said, kicking his head towards the door. "I heard tell it was eggs benedict morning."

I smirked. "You didn't."

He shrugged and it was adorable. "I might have."

When I'd first found out we were going to Saint Benedicts, I'd decided that eggs benedict would be my favourite breakfast, because what else would they serve you every morning at a school called Saint Benedicts? I'd figured, if I was going to have to eat them almost every morning for five years, then I may as well love them. Needless to say, the staff at Saint Benedicts did not feed us eggs benedict every morning, but I had become quite the fan.

"It's all about the hollandaise," we said together.

"And Mrs Mack said she's been working on an even more perfect recipe," Apollo said with a knowing grin.

I pretended to swoon. "Ugh, you know the way to a girl's heart."

His smile grew more rueful and sweet. "Really? I mean, of course I do. I've known you all my life."

"There were at least three years before we met, I'm sure."

He laughed. "Sure. You tell yourself that counts. Get dressed. I'll be out here."

He stuck his tongue out at me then slid back out my door.

Being away from school - from the Saints - gave me that warm happy feeling again.

Apollo was never again going to be that sweet little boy who'd follow me around his father's house like a love-sick puppy. But maybe, just maybe, there would be hope for us yet.

"Finally," he sighed dramatically when I emerged from my room.

"I've been five minutes," I said as we started for the stairs.

"More like five hours," Apollo teased. "You were so long I'm going to have to shave again." He ran his hand over his perfectly smooth jaw.

I snorted. "Pfft. You barely have to shave now."