Chapter Twenty

What was I doing? Why was this my job? I huffed as I hurried from the mail room to the boys' dorm the next Tuesday night.

It was raining, if only lightly, but there was a distant rumble of thunder, more like mere vibrations on the air. Whether the storm came this way or not, I didn't want to be playing errands for longer than necessary.

As I entered the boys' dorm, I looked around for anyone to help me. Marco saw me and jutted his chin toward me in what classified as a greeting to those Neanderthals.

"Can I help you, missus?" he asked.

I mentally rolled my eyes at him, but put in my saccharine smile. "I'm looking for Valen's room." I brandished the mysterious package. "Apollo wanted me to drop something off to him."

Marco nodded. "Quickest way... You know the cheeky service stairs?"

I shook my head.

Marco nodded as though he'd expected as much. "No. Right. Third floor. Past God's room. Number nine." His thick Irish accent was the only pleasing thing about him.

I gave him a nod and scurried up the stairs.

"In and out," I muttered to myself as I headed for the third floor. "You'll just be in and out."

Which Valen most definitely wouldn't be.

I got to his room and knocked, but there was no answer. I knocked again. Still no answer. I looked at the package in my hand and swore under my breath. Apollo's instructions had been very clear: take the package from the delivery driver and take it straight to Valen, and it had to be put into Valen's hands.

I told myself the only reason I was going through with Apollo's cryptic and ridiculous orders was just on the off chance it was actually important. I knew they got up to shady shit. Exactly what wasn't my purview and they kept all that as separate from me as possible. So, whatever this was, if it had to be entrusted to me, it must have been important.

My obedience had absolutely nothing to do with me wanting to see Valen again after our last encounter.

As I looked around the corridor, I tried the handle to Valen's door. It was unlocked, so I opened it and peeked inside. So far as I could see, the room was empty. I opened the door further and took a step inside.

The Saints clearly got preferential treatment. I was a blinding beacon to that. I'd only had to share a room with one other person my whole Saint Benedicts career. Most of the girls shared in threes or fours until final year. Obviously, the old boys' club had special privileges one step further.

There was only one bed in Valen's room. One giant bed with room for two people - or more. There was a huge window covered in thick velvet curtains. Two doors stood in the wall to my right which I suspected opened into his private bathroom and walk in robe.

The whole room was decked out in deep, red wood. Any coloured accents were black or grey. The bed spread. The couch. The TV unit and bedside tables. His desk and chair. Even a large wingback in the darkened corner. The fireplace to my left was cold and empty, even for this time of year, throwing no light on the lush rug in front of it.

The room was stark, offering no insights into the man who lived there. Nothing other than he was meticulous and tidy.

Still there was no sign of him. Wondering if I should just put the box on his desk and be done with it, I knew there was no way in hell I was leaving without seeing him. I looked around his room once more and decided the wingback in the corner looked the least likely defiled. I dropped into it and waited.

Sometime later, his door opened and I heard a distinct feminine giggle. Valen walked in with a tottery, giggly Magdalen in the tiniest dress and tallest heels I'd ever seen. As she leant against his arm, I wasn't even sure she went to our school.