Chapter Eighteen

When I'd got back the night before, Florence had been asleep. She'd left a note on the end of my bed saying she was sorry she couldn't stay up any longer. So, I'd dropped into bed and stared at the ceiling for a few hours.

After sleeping fitfully for the rest of the night, I finally gave up trying to sleep at about seven and just sat on my bed and stared at Florence like I could wake her up with just the power of my mind.

Finally, she stretched and her eyes fluttered open. She blinked once. Twice.

"Ah!" She jumped up and grabbed her glasses. "You freak! Don't do that. It's creepy."

I opened my mouth, then closed it again.

As Florence's brain woke up, she started looking around.

"It's barely eight. On a Sunday. What are you doing up?" she asked.

"I suddenly decided to show my devotion to our Lord and go to Sunday mass."

"I'm not nearly awake enough for your sass, missy."

"I'm fucked."

"Dude, have you slept at all?"

I shrugged. "Don't know."

"What's up?" She was aiming for concerned support, but it was kind of ruined when she yawned.

"Uh...last night-"

"You gave in and fucked Valen. Big surprise." She waved her hand airily and rolled her eyes.

"Apollo dragged me into a storeroom and finger fucked me."

Florence's mouth dropped open. "Oh."

I nodded. "Oh."

"Okay..."

"Yeah."

"That is a surprise."

"Isn't it?"

"Did not see that coming." She amended, "I mean, he's clearly been dying to kiss you-"

"He did that as well," I told her quickly.

She blinked. "Okay. Not wasting any time there, then. I'm assuming you wanted it, otherwise you would have punched him in the nose."

"Little further south."

She snorted. "Good girl. Well?"

"Well, what?"

"Well, everything!" she cried. "How was it? Is it going to happen again? How do you feel about it?" She leant towards me. "Better yet, how does Valen feel about it?"

I blinked. "Valen?"

"Figures he'd be your takeaway." Florence nodded. "Yeah. Tall, brooding, dark, dangerous, totally fallen for what's between your legs. Valen Kincaid."

"All right!" I huffed, thankful the door was closed. "I know who he is - obviously. I meant what have his feelings got to do with it?"

Florence shrugged coyly. "I don't know. I'm asking you."

"Sometimes," I told her. "I hate you."

"No, you don't. You love me."

I frowned. "I think we both know those two things are not mutually exclusive."

"So Valen's feelings matter?"

I huffed and flopped back on my bed. "Only in so much as I want him to care. Is that bad?"

"I don't think so. Would you care if he was fucking around."

"I think we both know he is."

"Okay, do you care?"