①: True Crime & Late Night Calls

Hello!!
I'm extremely excited to start this new story, I've spent a lot of time thinking of a plot for this and I'm officially starting it! Woooo!

!! Please read the description before continuing, it includes any info you need + you'll be pretty lost if you don't have context lol !!

Here's this for all the Dj simps!

I flung my car door open, getting out into the freezing cold

I flung my car door open, getting out into the freezing cold. The wind beat against my body and I hugged my coat tightly against myself. My breath was visible in front of my face, I could already feel my cheeks turning pink from the bitter cold. The weather wasn't going to stop me though, I had to see for myself what was going on.

Last night I got a call from my friend, now I found myself standing near the easiest entrance into the woods. I was fully prepared, my phone was ready to dial the police if I did find anything, and now all I had to do was work up the courage to walk into the deep abyss of trees.

- Flashback -

My phone was going off, loudly too. Startled, I woke up and quickly went to check the time. Of course, it was around two a.m. and my friend was calling. I'm not sure why I wasn't surprised.

I sighed in annoyance, picked up my phone and answered the call.

"Do you know what time it is?!" I shouted.

"Woah woah! Hear me out!" She shouted back. I immediately groaned. Who knows what she was calling about this time. She was an odd person, she would probably ramble to me about something weird like calling someone at two in the morning was completely normal.

"So... I got home from a party and guess what.. Another child went missing around midnight!" She shouted, almost sounding excited... which creeped me out a bit.

But what did I expect? She was obsessed.. and I mean obsessed.. with true crime and anything in that nature. Our town was quiet, so when all the missing people cases popped up and really weird reports to the police were happening almost everyday.. she was thrilled.

"Okay?" I answered. I felt bad, that poor kid. That was the fifth one this week.

"I found a poster, his name is Connor Williams, he's 8 years old, a blonde male—"

"Okay but why are you telling me this?! ITS 2 IN THE MORNING." I spat. I was tired, I wanted to sleep, and this bitch is calling me to report a missing child to me like I was apart of the police force or something.

"Because! This kid went missing around the same spot the girl on Monday did!" She shouted, begging me to hear her out. "He disappeared after telling his parents he went to play with some friends. Him and his friends entered the forest by Shaker road, the exact same place that Molly went missing."

"Molly?" I asked.

"The girl that went missing on Monday, that's Molly. She went to feed the ducks at the pond in the woods and went missing." She answered.

"That is weird.." I mumbled, "Isn't that by the tunnel to the main sewer throughout the town too? The same one people have been claiming to see a "monster" in or whatever?"

"EXACTLY!!" She shouted, "I bet someone around there has been leading them into the sewers and killing them..."

"Woah woah.. slow down." I replied, "Where did that come from? Who says the kids are dead?" I knew she was probably right but I felt bad, I wanted to at least have some belief the kids are still alive somewhere, would be found and brought back to their families.

She snorted, I could almost feel her rolling her eyes at me through the phone. "Y/N. When kids go missing for weeks.. there's no way in hell they're still alive."

"You don't know that though.. they could be alive." I said, extremely unconfidently.

"Sure... but maybe the whole monster thing is because the person is wearing a mask or something." She said, "if the stupid ass police would just check the sewers! Maybe they'd find those stupid kids!" She whined.

I sighed, I wasn't sure what was going on. What she was saying sounded like it could be true but we didn't really know. I felt bad, who knew a town as quiet as this one could become a void that made children disappear. I just hoped the kids were alright. I had some hope, fake hope... that those kids were okay.

I think I just didn't wanna face what was really going on.

Those kids were definitely dead.

"Can I go now?" I groaned, "I'm tired."

Before she could answer I hung up the phone and laid back down under the covers. I couldn't sleep the rest of the night. My mind wouldn't let me rest, I kept thinking about those missing children.

I felt the need to figure out what was actually going on.

- Flashback end -

Some part of me was terrified, but I needed answers. I wanted to find those kids, and if I didn't find them, maybe I'd at least stop what was taking them. Every single victim was a child, I wasn't a target, so I wasn't that worried for my safety.

My friend had told me what the police report said, many of them stated 'the forest by Shaker Road' as last seen. So that's where I was starting.

I trailed off the sidewalk, into the crunchy dead grass and down a hill. I crossed a bridge that was over a creek and headed into the woods.

I wasn't sure what was driving me, but I wanted to figure this mystery out.

955 words
2/19/22