Chapter 11 | News

"Hey!" Shinobu yelled, shaking one of Tomioka's shoulders, "Hey, wake up, we need to head back to the butterfly estate before the others start worrying!"

The sun was well into the sky by now, the sound of the small birds chirping had woken Shinobu up and had brought her to the realisation that she was still on the hill with the water Hashira himself, Giyu Tomioka.

"Tomioka-san, get up!"

"Alright, alright," he yawned, after opening one eye to see the flustered Shinobu yelling in his face.

Last night had been a long night. They had spent the whole night in a deep conversation, discussing the past and had fallen asleep together on the beautiful moonlit hill.

After standing up and dusting himself off from the grassy floor, he reached out one hand and steadied Shinobu from the grass, onto her feet.

"Let's go back to the estate," Shinobu smiled.

The walk back to the butterfly mansion was almost silent but neither of them minded it. Shinobu was used to it by now, being friends with Tomioka meant large, awkward gaps between sentences was a completely normal thing. She would even get slightly concerned if Tomioka wasn't being completely silent sometimes.

*** 

"Thanks for walking me back, and thanks for taking me out last night too," she giggled, "it was fun."

Tomioka nodded before turning around to leave but he was interrupted by Shinobu's sudden tugging on his arm.

He shot her a quick 'huh'  look before slightly tilting his head in confusion.

"Don't you want to come in for a bit Tomioka? You're all covered in dirt, we can give you a spare change of clothes and even some tea before you leave, as a little 'thank you gift'."

"You don't need to give me a spare change of clothes," he replied.

"Then you can have some tea!" She exclaimed before dragging Tomioka into the estate.

He was shocked by Shinobu's invitation but let out a small grin at her childish tugging, how could he not?

After they sat down, Aoi handed them a fresh pot of tea and she smirked at Tomioka, almost like she too, was teasing Tomioka about something.

"I'm happy you accepted my invitation!" Shinobu smiled, clapping her hands.

"Did you really give me much of a choice though?"

She laughed at his remark. It was such a carefree and gentle laugh, one that cracked a smile out of Tomioka.

"Why are you even in such a good mood this morning, Shinobu?"

There it was again, the mention of my name.

"I am?" She questioned back with an awkward burst of laughter, failing to hide her red, blushing cheeks.

She's so much more childish than I had expected.

Tomioka let out a tiny smile at her embarrassed face.

"Is this going to happen every time I say your name, Shinobu?" 

He is so obviously teasing me at this point.

Although she wanted to protest against his repetitive teasing, she couldn't find the willpower to do it, not only was she uncontrollably blushing, but she didn't want to accidentally confess that she actually liked it when he called her that.

It sounds so nice when he says it.

"I'm sorry," he apologized with a chuckle, "I was just messing with you."

Shinobu covered her face with her two hands and hit her head down on the table. 

"You're so annoying," she murmured in a joking tone, her face still blushing red from embarrassment.

Another few minutes passed before Shinobu rolled her head over to look at the wall.

"I have to go shopping for some ingredients with Kanao soon, I should probably get going."

Before Shinobu could stand up, Tomioka got up and reached out one hand to help her. 

"You're still recovering, aren't you?"

"I'll be fine, Kanao is coming too."

Tomioka glanced over at her tired face, resting on the table in front of him. Her eyes looked so exhausted yet so content and her lips looked like they were trying to hide a smile.

On the way to grab his haori, he patted Shinobu on the head once and chuckled, "I won't keep you from going then, see you later."

"Bye," she replied with a smile before getting up too.

***

It was a quiet evening, an unusually quiet evening. None of the other Hashira's voices could be heard from the garden where Tomioka decided to take a walk around.

Shinobu had yet to return from her shopping trip and it seemed as though no one was outside.

The low, golden-orange sun was setting far off on the horizon and the air was slightly smoky but the view of the sunset was beautiful.

Why is it so quiet?

Tomioka's thoughts and silence were quickly disturbed by one of the Kasugai crows.

CAW, CAW, THE FLAME HASHIRA, KYOJURO RENGOKU HAS PASSED AWAY IN THE BATTLE AGAINST UPPER MOON 3.

Tomioka stopped. 

Rengoku...dead...?

He couldn't believe it, he was shocked and angered but he couldn't process any of those feelings.

"I see," was all he replied with, keeping his straight face, though he was feeling multiple emotions at the time.