Chapter 25 | A Different Universe

Unconscious bodies lay on the dark battlefield. It wasn't clear whether they were still breathing or not, but one thing was sure, a lot of damage had already been dealt, to both sides. Half of the hashira were already unable to fight and the other half were severely wounded, everybody looked like they were ready to collapse at any moment. Muzan Kibutsuji too looked desperate now, he was flinging out random attacks, he wasn't aiming anymore but the number of attacks being sent their way was still difficult to avoid. 

It took Shinobu Kocho almost a full day to reach her destination since she wasn't sure exactly where she was headed for. She had left in the late afternoon and by the time she arrived, it was already far past midnight, the sun would be on its way in a few hours.

"Mitsuri..." Shinou panted, seeing her frail friend laying unconscious in the arms of Iguro, "Mitsuri! Iguro! Gyomei!"

The sight of many of her friends lying in a pool of their own blood made her tremble, why was she the only one out of harm's way whilst all her comrades fought with their lives on the line? Fear enveloped her and she almost fell down on her knees, that was until she remembered why she was there in the first place. She sighed and then continued navigating her way around, looking for the main battle and anyway she could help out. 

The battlefield was difficult to navigate, even Shinobu was uncertain about what it was she was trying to find her way around.

She sped around most of the area, running towards the source of the noise. She ran until she found a group of particular people fighting a horrible monster who Shinobu figured was Muzan Kibutsuji himself. Luckily enough, he was already in bad shape and looked trapped, his body pinned against the wall. But on the other hand, the demon slayers also looked badly injured. 

Shinobu's eyes were immediately attracted to one particular pillar though, Giyu Tomioka. Upon the sight of him, her emotions began pouring out, she wasn't sure if it was due to relief, guilt, or despair. 

Giyu wasn't in the best shape, his head was bleeding and there was a clear cut on his stomach. Adding on to that, he had fallen onto the floor and was struggling to keep up. 

"I don't understand what it is that makes you think you have a chance, even if you defeat me, I'm still going to bring you all down with me," Kibutsuji muttered, his veins practically popping out.

"But I'll still annihilate you one by one while I still have the chance," he cruelly smiled, "starting with you."

He pointed directly at Giyu who was still on the floor, one hand against his stomach, the other holding onto his sword. 

Shinobu's eyes grew wide open in rage and tears fell as she charged straight toward Giyu as fast as she could, trying to protect him in any way she could, "no, don't hurt him!"

"Shino-" Giyu yelled out in surprise, but it was too late.

Muzan Kibutsuji had already launched an attack, it went flying at her and gave her multiple deep cuts all over her small body. Shinobu's sacrifice was also unintentionally a distraction for Kibutsuji too though, because right after, there was an opening for Sanemi to through his sword, pinning the demon against the wall and leaving no more ways for him to escape. 

She coughed, then she fell, unable to feel her body anymore. What is this? Why do I not feel anything anymore, shouldn't there be some sort of pain? Her vision began to fade away as daybreak began, there was a tingling sensation in her torso and she could smell the scent of her very own poison-filled blood soaking her. 

"SHINOBU!" Giyu frantically cried, running over to her on his knees, not caring about the slightest other worries anymore.

"Shinobu... Shinobu!" He cried, "what are you doing here, I thought you weren't going to be here!"

His crying only worsened as he picked her up in his arms, her whole body painted in her own red blood.

"G-Giyu," her weak and barely audible voice cracked, "Giyu, don't touch me, I'm all covered in blood. You might inhale the wisteria fumes."

"It doesn't matter, Shinobu," he screamed, mixed with his crying, "but why did you do that, why did you even come here?"

"You shouldn't have done that, you should've just let me take that atta-"

Giyu's speech was quickly interrupted by Shinobu's hand, gently reaching and cupping his face.

"I-It's okay," she smiled, her eyes closing and her breathing now struggling to keep up, "I just needed to see you again, to tell you that you never did anything wrong."

"I lied, I lied because I didn't want you to get hurt again if I had gone somewhere else and something happened to me," she paused and moved her hand from his cheek to his heart, "but I guess I love you too much for that stupid lie."

Giyu's tears only kept on coming with each sentence she spoke, "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you."

"Giyu."

"Giyu, you don't have to cry anymore," she continued, "because you know I love you." With whatever energy she had left, she managed to push herself up for one more kiss against the water hashira's teary lips. The presence of her lips on his again gave him a reassuring feeling, even though he was still holding onto her wounded body.  

"Mm," he mumbled, taking her hands off his chest and returning them onto her chest, "don't leave me again now."

She shook her head in response, "believe me, I wish we could've been born into a different universe, maybe then, I could've been with you a bit longer."

"But, you won in the end right?" She smiled as she felt the sunlight hit her skin and smelt the ashes of a burning demon. Her hand gripped onto his and squeezed it tight once, before releasing it, and giving in to the temptation of letting her senses go.

"W-Wait," Giyu stuttered out, "what's that supposed to mean?"

Shinobu's head leant backwards as her eyes closed, losing her consciousness in the arms of the very man she loved.

Giyu gasped, slowly losing his air with every breath, "w-wait-"

He shook her whilst screaming out her name, "H-hey, d-don't give up on me now!"

"...what happened to our promise, you said I wouldn't ever lose you..."

Out of all desperation, Giyu placed her down, checking her pulse as more tears streamed down his face. Chest compressions, chest compressions, now!

He gasped.

"Someone! Help her! She needs urgent help!" he screamed as loud as he could, right after feeling a heart beat.

She wasn't dead, no, not yet, he was sure of that, he felt a heartbeat, a faint one but it was still there. She must've just passed out from blood loss, she must've passed out in my very arms.

A moment after, four members of the Kakushi tended her wounds and rushed her away from Giyu, who was also to be taken to urgent care himself, leaving him speechless.

Take care of her for me, he prayed before closing his eyes as the Kakushi lifted him up onto a stretcher.

Author's note

yeah I'm so bad at writing fight scenes sorry about that-