Chapter 19 | Always be Ready

CAW CAW HASHIRA MEETING CAW~

The Kasugai crows cawed loudly at the breaking dawn issuing another meeting for the Hashira. It had been a while since the last meeting, well over a month. Shinobu jumped at the sudden noise and opened her window to let her crow in. She was yet again worried at the mention of a meeting notice so soon before the actual meeting, especially because of the declining number of demon appearances. 

She picked up her sword, rushed to the door and ran towards the meeting point in only a small amount of time. The helplessly out of breath girl looked around in the small crowd of people looking for one particular hashira.

That's right, she thought to herself, she had been hanging around at Tomioka's house last night before sending herself home after feeling faint from what she assumed was the wisteria poison. Shinobu had spent all morning figuring out a good excuse for her quick disappearance last night and she was desperately looking for the water hashira to perform her excuse to.

"Shinobu-chan," Mitsuri's sweet voice called out after her, "Shinobu-chan, are you alright there?"

Mitsuri examined the girl in front of her, she was standing with her back slightly arching down and her hands leaning against her knees as she huffed for air.

"Huh, Shinobu-chan why are you so out of breath?"

Shinobu gave herself a moment before answering Mitsuri's question, it was true, she was so caught up in her head trying to find Tomioka that she completely exerted herself.

"Mitsuri," Shinobu laughed, still gasping for air, "I really rushed to get here."

"I see," Mitsuri smiled back, "hey, Shinobu, if you're looking for someone in particular-"

"What?"

"Your secret scavenging from afar to find someone was pretty obvious."

"Oh, it's no one in particular."

"If you're looking for Tomioka-san-"

"What makes you think that?"

"He's right there Shinobu-chan!"

She turned her head around and blushed in embarrassment when she looked back at Mitsuri, "oh, thanks," she replied, before making her way towards Tomioka.

Mitsuri giggled at the sight of Shinobu running off so quickly, before she too, got pulled away for a conversation with Iguro.

"Tomioka-san," she yelled out, running towards the tall, silent Hashira who was standing far away from the rest of them.

"Hey, Tomioka-san-"

But before she could continue, Tomioka's two hands, gently yet firm enough, grabbed onto her two shoulders and pulled her a bit closer.

She blushed when she caught his siren eyes staring at her.

"Shinobu."

"T-Tomioka-san?"

"Shinobu, wait," he continued, placing one finger on her lips and turning her around before bowing down as he caught a glimpse of his master.

Shinobu too bowed down when she saw the kind-looking man appear, her head looking more downwards to make sure no one caught sight of her blushing red face.

"My children," the master said in such a voice that almost resembled feathers, "I apologise for the sudden notice of a mission, although I appreciate you all attending."

"Yes master, and we to you," Mitsuri replied in a polite manner, happy she was the one able to greet the master herself.

"Thank you, Mitsuri," he smiled, before continuing on to the urgent message.

"I've gathered you all today, to share an urgent vision of mine. I believe Muzan Kibutsuji is preparing to attack us Hashira any day now, I also believe the sudden decline of demon appearances is not coincidental, but one of the many parts of Kibutsuji's plan, in other words, his plan is already well into action."

The whole Hashira garden went silent, everybody was trying to process what the master had just said, they were all scared yet well excited to bring down Muzan Kibutsuji.

Shinobu herself did not take the news so well though, although she didn't mind whether or not she was going to make it out alive during the battle, she had not planned for the battle to be so soon. She was rethinking it now, last night, she had thought it was going to be okay, she had thought maybe she and Tomioka could spend a little more time together since the date of the battle was not set and could be years into the future, but she was wrong.

Her hands trembled as the master continued and her lips quivered.

"Thank you for understanding my beloved children, but always be ready, for when the day comes, we will bring Kibutsuji down."

After the conclusion of the meeting, Shinobu still sat silently in shock, barely moving a muscle except for the occasional shivers. Before anyone else could do anything, she abruptly stood up and followed the master into the building.

"Shinobu, what are you-" Tomioka said, grabbing her wrist.

"Tomioka, stop," she said, shaking off his hand and continuing her way to the master.