10

Kageyama

"The condition is that Kageyama Tobio has to be a setter throughout the game," the teacher completed his announcement by the door. Something like fear, and excitement coursed through his veins. He was going to see them— and him.

The setter looked at his rival, Hinata was scrunching up his face into an ugly expression at him as if saying, What's so special about you that they made that condition. Some weight he didn't know he was bearing melted off his shoulders. He felt as if he found that one missing piece in his life. He thought back to what his grandpa mentioned before he passed, about how he would eventually meet someone that pushes him to be stronger in volleyball. He had initially doubted those words of wisdom. He was always alone. It was something that came with being strong. Hinata was now giving him a questioning look since he didn't react to his stupid face. He clutched the hem of his jacket once more. A new school and new teammates. Back then he projected his frustration and loneliness as anger towards his teammates. It was an immature way he'd admit that. He almost did it again but Hinata...He bonked Hinata on the head before turning away as he allowed himself to hope. 

This is going to be a new beginning...and we're going to win.

Ϫ

Y/n

The next day, you were invited to spectate practice again by Daichi. Apparently Sugawara and Tanaka had informed him of your coach-on-the side jig and he wanted you to help the team out too, since they didn't have a coach at the moment. "Any food you want it'll be on us." The captain had offered you with the 2 other seniors by his side aggressively nodding. Looking at their hopeful faces, how desperate they were. How can you not agree?... It's free food.

You were hunched over at the bench finishing up the draft of your game plan for Aoba Johsai's match when you felt a gentle poke on your shoulder. "Ano..." 

You looked up to find Yamaguchi eyes darting and nervous. You sighed. " Are you here to apologize for your best friend?" And from the way his eyes shot up you knew you guessed correctly. "A-Ah! Yes. How'd you know?" he said, surprised. "Well, clearly you're the nicest between you two. And it seems like he isn't one to apologize for himself." True enough, Tsukishima was eavesdropping and peeking behind a pillar. You gave him a small wave and he hid completely behind it.

You turned back to Yamaguchi and smiled. "You two seem to stick with each other a lot. But I doubt he has any other friends who'd tolerate that attitude of his." A cough sounded behind the pillar." Tsuki can seem mean but he's actually really nice," he stuttered. "The iconic line of the nice friend justifying the mean one since he doesn't treat everyone the same way as he treats the nice one," you clapped your hands together.

"But Tsuki is ummm... he's not..." he looked up and pondered, face scrunching before releasing a sigh. "Yeah you're right," he admitted in defeat. "Pft, you're actually quite cute aren't you," you smiled while pinching his cheeks, stretching them like mochi.

"Ackkk Y/n..."

You released his cheeks, leaning forward to get a better look at his freckles. " Woah, now that I get a better look at your face, you're actually quite cute with a blush," you said amazed. Yamaguchi quickly covered his cheeks with your statement. " I think you would look beautiful with some blush and maybe eyeliner..." You were about to touch them when a voice stopped you. 

" Can you please stop being an annoyance?" Tsukishima said. He didn't even look at his friend as he grabbed his wrist and pulled him away. "I need to discuss something with you," he said curtly.