Chapter VIII-Ophelia

𝓞𝓹𝓱𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓪'𝓼 𝓣𝓻𝓾𝓽𝓱

𝓞𝓹𝓱𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓪'𝓼 𝓣𝓻𝓾𝓽𝓱

After the dining had concluded, Ophelia retired to the cabin where she had awakened earlier, still oblivious to the fact that it belonged to James Norrington. As she settled in, there came a knock on the door, and once again, it was James standing in the doorway. "Excuse my curiosity, Miss Swann, but may I ask if you followed my advice?" he inquired.
     "Do you mean the part where you said I shouldn't say anything that could bring me into trouble, or the part where you said if I need to lie, I should?" Ophelia responded, a hint of amusement in her voice as she recalled the memory of Cutler's escalating agitation. "Both," James confirmed, and she walked over to a small window, gazing out at the expanse of the ocean.
     "I did not heed your advice, James, and while it did appear that Lord Beckett was on the verge of exploding at one point, I managed to glean something valuable from the encounter," she replied honestly, prompting a sigh from James. "You must understand, Ophelia, that this could have severe consequences for you," he warned, his tone filled with concern.
     Ophelia scoffed at his words, her voice dripping with sarcasm, causing James to sigh once more. "Oh my, I am so terrified of the consequences that may befall me. Perhaps I should rush back to Beckett this instant, fall to my knees, and beg for his forgiveness," she retorted, her words laced with both defiance and amusement.
     "You need not worry, Miss Swann. I have no expectations of such actions from you," a voice interjected from the doorway. Both Ophelia and James turned to find Cutler standing there. Ophelia regarded him with a questioning look, wondering what he wanted now. "Please do not look at me as if I don't own this ship and have other matters to attend to, Miss Swann," he remarked with a touch of irritation. In response, Ophelia turned her attention back to the window, muttering something under her breath.
     "I am here to inform you both that we will soon be docking in Port Royal, so be prepared," Cutler announced, before leaving once more. James entered the cabin, closing the door behind him. "There's something I've been pondering since earlier, Ophelia," he began.
     "And what might that be?" she inquired, her curiosity piqued. James continued, "I couldn't help but wonder how you ended up in the sea in the first place. As far as I know, you were on your way back to Port Royal aboard the Dauntless." The question of her circumstances made Ophelia tense, but she didn't hesitate to reveal the truth. "I was not on the Dauntless. I was aboard the Black Pearl, seeking answers for myself. When they discovered my presence, Barbossa decided to let me swim back to where I came from."
     Ophelia caught a glimpse of a questioning expression in his eyes, as if he longed to inquire why she would undertake such an action. However, before he could voice his thoughts, she swiftly excused herself, offering no further explanation, and made her way out of the cabin.

 However, before he could voice his thoughts, she swiftly excused herself, offering no further explanation, and made her way out of the cabin