Chapter-5

The winter morning sun shone bright and happy onto Daisy's face. She could feel the breeze in her feet and the warmth in her face. The cherry on top was when Jay holds her hand and takes her to a bench nearby.

"I'm gonna have to take them back home before they fall sick." He says rubbing his palms together.

'They'll be fine. Let then have their day.' She signs with a soft smile all the while watching the three energised chipmunks rolling over the snow covered trampoline.

"Kids are way too hyper in the morning." He murmurs.

"Oh! This reminds me of Sophie's little brother, Zack. He's such an active kid. He's really adorable too. For a 4-year old he's quite funny. Little man's got his own logic about things. The other day when I went over to her house he-"

'You've been going to Sophie's house?' Daisy promptly interjects.

"Uhm....yeah. We've grown really close you know? She comes over to my place too. Mom and dad adore her."

'But you met her just the other week when she was the cheerleader for your match.'

"Uhhh...Daisy, I've known her for quite sometime....not just after that match. She's one of my close friends."

'For God's sake half of the school is your close friend. You just befriend every person that walks down the road.' She snaps.

"Hey! What's the matter with you Daisy bee? You were fine a while ago, all of a sudden you get all riled up when i talk about my friend? Am I not allowed to have any friends?" He says in a surprisingly calm tone.

'I don't know. Just never mind.' She sighs before closing her eyes shut for a deep breath.

"Hey hey. Are you alright? Is there something going on?" He softly whispers before placing his arm over her shoulder.

'No I'm okay.' She signs.

"You're clearly not. But I'm not gonna force you. For now, let's just drop that. I'll keep my mouth shut too. Let's enjoy the day." He pulls her closer for a friendly embrace and that's what broke Daisy's heart even more. The embrace could never go above being friendly.

Meanwhile Jayden on the other hand had absolutely no clue about what was going on in Daisy's mind. He just talked about an adorable 4-year old and that annoyed Daisy? As much as he knows, Daisy adores children. At least she adored his siblings. Then the other possible reason could be Sophie.....well what happens with Jayden and Sophie shouldn't be affecting Daisy. They've been best friends for years. If anything, Daisy would be overjoyed for Jayden on finding the perfect girl for him.

"Jay! Can we have some ice cream please?" Hayden runs towards his elder brother with reddened puffy  cheeks and panting breaths.

"This does not seem like the weather for ice cream champ." He mumbles before dusting off the snow from the little boy's shoulders.

"But there's an ice cream truck right there! Can I please have one?"

"Yeah! I want one too. Please Jay!" Lily follows suit.

"How about you Daisy? Do you want one?" She shakes her head no before fiddling with the tangling threads of her muffler. Sensing the thick air between them, Jay found it best to blow off some steam by going as far as he can from her.

"Let's get some ice cream then." He mumbles before heading to the truck with 3 obedient chipmunks following his lead. Halfway through placing his order, his phone goes off.

"Just hang on a minute." He mumbles before answering the phone only to know that Sophie was in the other line.

"Jay...hi." Her soft voice brings warmth within him.