IN MY MIND

Tuesday, October 8

MAX

"How are you feeling now that you know you have the power to change time?"

"Strange."

"It happens sometimes."

"It happened to you too?"

"Not exactly." The beauty beside Max lets out a giggle, her blonde hair falling over her shoulder in grace. Even the way her lips moved had Max mesmerized to watch her more. Maybe this is why Chloe couldn't shut up about her.

Rachel Amber is literally a Goddess.

"Oh, why thank you." Rachel grins slyly, making Max gape.

"You can hear my thoughts!" She shouts out to nature, making Rachel flinch.

"Shhh! You will wake them."

Max looks left and right, not noticing a single person around them. Wait. Why was this place so barren at this time of the day? Max opens her mouth to ask about that but her curiosity makes her ask the other question. "Wake up who?"

Suddenly Rachel's excited aura turns to grim silence. "Who am I kidding? They are already awake."

"Who? Rachel?"

"Shh!" Rachel stands up from the grass, looking around with fear in her eyes. "It's too late, Max. I am so sorry."

Wait, what?

What is she talking about?

"Rachel!"

"Time to wake up, Max." Huh?

"But why would I need to wake-"

"Max? Hey, Max!" Max groggily opens her eyes, the sun hitting her directly in the eyeballs. She shakes off her heavy head, trying to lull herself into sleep again only to stop once she notices where she is. Wowser! What is she doing here!?

"Max, are you alright?"

Oh, right. Someone woke her up. Groaning, she glances at the side and finds herself face to face with Kate.

"Uh, hi, Kate."

"Hi." Kate looks down, avoiding Max's gaze. "I was kind of thinking of hiding here but then I saw this place was occupied by you and you looked quite uncomfortable so I woke you up. Hope you don't mind."

Right, here, sleeping right under the Tobanga of all places.

How did she even end up here? Max remembers texting with Chloe and researching about the time travel stuff all night. Then she totally blanked out. Wait-it wasn't a total blank out. She remembers distinctly talking to Rachel, the same Rachel who was missing for months before Max came here. Of course, there was a possibility that she dreamed of that poor girl since Chloe couldn't stop talking about her. But the Tobanga? She didn't sleepwalk here, did she? Goosebumps run over her skin at the thought of that.

How many girls have seen her passed out here? Or worse, guys?

"Max?"

"Yeah? Oh, yeah, I'm fine. Thank you."

"Uh..." Kate hesitates, pointing something at Max's face. "There's blood under your nose. Are you sure you're alright?"

Shit. She immediately wipes it off with the hem of her hoodie. "It's fine. I must have moved too much in sleep and caused a cut. It's no big deal. Why were you thinking of hiding though?"