Chapter 11 Demon

My eyes widen at the scene before me. Cora has her hands in a chokehold at David's throat and he's turning purple. Mr. Grant rushes towards Cora and pulls her off of David easily. She starts to kick and scream, wiggling out of his grasp. David gets up and backs up against the wall with fear dancing in his eyes. Mr. Grant hands her over to mom and Cora drifts into unconciousness.

"Get that demon away from me!" David spits.

"Excuse me?" Mom asks him in a harsh tone making him flinch. He looks at her in anger.

"That is not human, you guys need to leave and never come back here. We can't help you."

I hear mom take in a sharp breath, she starts to tear up. John walks over to Mr. Grant and asks, "What do you mean you guys can't help us?"

"She's possessed, she needs to be excorcised immediately or we're all doomed."

My mouth drops in complete shock. It's Karl, it has to be. I look over at mom and she just shakes her head at me while drying the last of her tears. John glares at David and Mr. Grant while he rubs my mom's back in comfort. Cora's eyes open and flutter with so much vulnerability that you can never guess that she wanted to kill someone.

"You need to leave. NOW!" David yells and we all jump and head out of the hospital.

I look back and see that Mr. Grant followed us out. A remorseful expression is plasters on his face. What do you want now? I thought.

"I'm really sorry but we just haven't experienced cases like these in over fifteen years. Here's some information on an excorcist I know of that will perform an excorcism for free." Mr. Grant says while taking out a piece of paper out of his pocket.

Mom gives out a relieved sigh and John grabs the paper from him. John gives it a quick glance and knods slowly to himself.

"Thank you for your help, we'll be going now." John says.

I call for a taxi and we all pile in. When we reach our house I can sense a different atmosphere. It seems colder and darker than ever before. Cora is fast asleep in John's arms. Mom unlocks the door to our house and a blast of cold air hits us. I flick on the lights and everything seems so normal.

John sets Cora down on the couch and she hugs one of the couch pillows in comfort. He heads to his bedroom and comes out carrying his laptop. Gently, he sets it down on the dining table and turns it on. He starts typing and murmured a mhmm when he found what he wanted. John beckons mom and I to come look and I give a small gasp at the site.

The website included almost everything you needed to know about Excorcism. It is quite interesting and creepy at the same time. This guy looks like he's in his late 40's. He has an eerie look to him, there is a scar on his left cheek that looks like a claw slashed it.

"Can you send me the link? I'll help you." I offer.

"Sure," John answers.

I went up to my room and turn on my laptop to check my email. The link is already there and I eagerly click on it. There is one part of the website that peaks my interest. It read:

As might expected, the norms for the practice of excorcism, laid down by the church are detailed and extensive. It is worth quoting them in full.

1. A priest - one who is expressively and particularly authorized by the ordinary - when he intends to perform an exorcism over persons tormented by the devil, must be properly distinguished for his piety, prudence and integrity of life. He should fulfill this devout undertaking in all constancy and humility, being utterly immune to any striving for human recognition, and relying, not on his own, but on the divine power. Moreover, he ought to be of mature years, and revered not alone for his office but for his moral qualities.

2. In order to exercise his ministry rightly, he should resort to a great deal more study of the matter.

3. In order to understand these matters better, let him inquire of the person possessed, following one or the other act of exorcism, what the latter experienced in his body or soul while the exorcism was being performed, and to learn also what particular words in the form had a more intimidating effect upon the devil, so that hereafter these words may be employed with greater stress and frequency.

4. He will be on his guard against the arts and subterfuges which the evil spirits are using in deceiving the exorcists.

5. Once in a while, after they are already recognized, they conceal themselves and leave the body practically free from every molestation.

6. If it can be done conveniently the possessed person should be led to church. The exorcism may take place in a private home.

7. He will pay attention as to what words in particular cause the evil spirits to tremble, repeating them the more frequently.

8. Finally, after the possessed one has been freed, let him be admonished to guard himself carefully against falling into sin

When I finally finished reading the entire page, a large knock sounds at our door. I come down the stairs confused who could be here at this late hour. Standing before the door is the guy from the website holding a cross at us with a terrified expression on his face.

"Welcome, I'm John and this is my fiance Margaret." John introduces to the man.

"And my daughters, Cora and Bethany," Mom adds.

He continues to stare at us like we're ghosts or something. I begin to feel uncomfortable with the way he's looking at us. John clears his throat and the man looks up in surprise. The man is muttering something under his breath while shaking the cross in the air. My stomach churns at the weirdness of this situation. After what seems like two minutes has gone by, he finally snaps out of his stupidity. He lets out a cough.

"I'm Francis, your excorcist, you called for my help?" He asks.

Well obviously we called you for help, no, we just called you for the fun of it, I thought annoyed. I roll my eyes at his cluelessness. John goes to shake Francis' hand but he doesn't even register it. Under normal circumstances, I wouldv'e laughed at that. But right now my emotions are all over the place and I'm sick of all the weirdness going on.

"Yes Francis, it's our daughter. It seems she is possesed by Karl. A guy who once lived here who commit--...." Mom says.

"Yes, I know the story very well, he commited suicide in the attic." Francis cuts mom off earning a death glare from her.

"Can you please help us?" I ask politely.

"Well of course I can! Let's get started here shall we?" He answers with a grimace gesturing a prayer.

**************************************************

A/N Hello guys, hope you guys are still with me. I've been busy with school and all so updates will be slow. But ill work hard updating. Thank you to everyone who is reading, voting, commenting, or sharing. It means a lot and I'm greatful. What do you guys think about Francis? How should the excorcism go? What do you think will happen?

Please vote, comment, or share

Shi-Jiuan Du