Chapter 1 The Prologue

________________________________________________________________________________

(Unknown person's POV)

My vision returned to me as I took in the look of the room; it was an odd room with weirdly shaped windows with no frames, and looking out the window would be pointless because the vista was illuminated by a bright white light.

Suddenly, I heard a loud explosion and turned to see a floating nude entity with a strange body comprised entirely of white neon light, with just its black vacant eyes as the sole secondary color.

'So they hold all of the world's souls and prayers?'I thought as I examined it, looking for signs of hostility but finding it still in the air.

It instantly lifted its arms as I looked around the room and saw white spheres erupting from every corner; I moved rapidly around, evading the moving orbs. When I looked back at the entity, I saw that it had gathered all of the orbs and formed a large one in its arms.

It launches a moving beam as I try to avoid it but find myself too sluggish as my skin hardens to limit the damage of the attack on me. The entity uses another beam but from a different direction as I react by accelerating time for a brief second to walk out of the beam's track.

The entity, fed up with my antics, divided the orb in two before hurling it at me, which I easily avoided because of my rapid time acceleration. I glance around to see the entity erecting gigantic pillars out of the same beam he used to try to cut me. The pillars were closing in on me in a circular fashion.

I utilize my time acceleration to escape before the beams explode, although it looked like I suffered a hit since my skin had stiffened and the shine I had faded slightly. My thoughts were interrupted once more when I noticed a white disc under my feet, the same one that was used to indicate when a beam would emerge from the ground.

I quickly speed up my own time to flee from that attack as I see the entity slam over a piano where I had been standing. When I turned to face the entity again, I noticed that it had finally ceased flying and had assumed my shape as it fell to the ground.

________________________________________________________________________________

(Shido POV)

"That moron..." I muttered as I flipped my phone down without clearing the screen and slipped out of the student line.

"H-Hey, where are you going, Itsuka!"

"Sorry! I forgot something! You go ahead!"

I hurried towards the entrance, disregarding my teacher's pleas, while answering Tonomachi while facing the opposite direction.

I gazed around the city and saw a rather strange scene. A town devoid of any indications of life, with no moving cars on the roadways. There was no one left on the streets, in the parks, or even at the convenience stores. The folks who had been present until just a few moments before had vanished.

I instantly protected my eyes. A dazzling light engulfed the road in front of me. It was followed by a deafening explosion and a massive shockwave that crashed into me.

"Wha—?" The wind pressure was equivalent to that of a big typhoon, and I fell. backward.

"What in the world happened?" I heaved my body up, wiping my still-flickering eyes.

"Huh!?" I let out an astonished sound when I saw the landscape that extended over my view. After all, the roadway that had been directly in front of me minutes before had 'disappeared' in the small length of time that I had my eyes closed.