Breathe

"I can't just let him suffer! He's going to die!"
"He won't, hell be fine." I insisted.
"How do you know?"
"I dont," suddenly rayla pushed past me, "but i get the feeling that he will be fine."
"Callum, wake up!" She kept shaking him, "you've got to stay with me."
I sighed. It hurt me to see my friend so worried but these was nothing either of us could do for callum at the moment. It was his choice to meddle in dark magic.
I put my hand on her shoulder. Rayla turned around and clung to me and i noticed she was crying.
"Oh ray" i hugged her back.
"He can't die, he has to stay with us."
she turned back to him.
"Please callum, come back, it doesn't mater what you did before. I just want you to be okay again." Rayla begged.
i sighed "as much as i hated you using my blood and i will forever hold it against you, im with rayla on this one callum, if you di, i will never forgive you for breaking my best friend's heart so wake up you damn human!"
"I can't lose you like this, you mean too much to me! Callum, I, I..." rayla was about to confess.
"Gasp!" And then callum finally woke up.
If my relief hadn't overpowered my amusement, i would have laughed at the face rayla was pulling.
"Oh! Look, you're awake now," Rayla tried to pass off, "you're even looking cheery. And is that a twinkle in your eye?"
'Smooth rayla real smooth' i thought looking at her amusedly
She glared at me probably daring me to speak.
"Oh, no, that's not a twinkle, its one of those sleep crusties. Here, let me" rayla said licking her finger.
I facepalmed.
"I'm glad you're awake callum" i said
"I have it." Callum said, "I understand the sky arcanum."
"I'm sorry, what?" I asked dumbfounded.
Callum explained to us how he had a weird dream in which he saw his mom and dad and somehow after it, he understood the sky arcanum.
"So you're telling me, you used my blood for dark magic, got yourself in mortal danger, had a fever dream and somehow you discovered the meaning of the sky arcanum?!"
"Pretty much,"
"You and your brother are two weird humans..."
"I don't understand" rayla said
"Ita not one simple thing. Its all the things. They just had to...come together, you know? Its like, i used to hold the power of the sky in my hand, right? But now thats gone. But rayla, the whole world is like a giant primal stone, and were inside it. Im inside sky magic, but its also in me, with every breath i take." Callum said and then he started to breathe deeply and loudly.
"That kinda makes sense!" Rayla said
"You think?!" I asked.
Callum was making no sense.
"Yes! And i kept thinking about birds, and sails, and how they connect to the wind and i thought i had to find my wings...but that's just it, i am the wing!"
"And now you sound even crazier..." I commented
"Yeah, that makes less sense...but okay!" Rayla added.
Callum turned around.
"Moment of truth." He said as he approached the ledge of the mountain we were in, "lets see if i can really do this."
Callum opened his arms to the sky and for a second I thought he was going to jump but instead he breathed deeply, brought his arms down, took another deep breath as he extended his hand as if to cast a spell, and much to my surprise, he actually cast it!
"Aspiro" he chanted and then blew air from his lungs.
The air expanded and he soon had a whole tornado coming from his mouth.
"Ezran! You're back!" Rayla said exited.
I turned and saw his return and we both ran to greet him.
Rayla and i got on our knees and hugged him toght.
"He was gone?" Callum asked.
After we separated, zym came running from behind and pounced on the prince-turned-king and started licking his face.
"I love your zappy kisses." Ezran said happily, "callum, you figured it out? You can do magic again!" He continued.
"Thats incredible, prince callum." Corvus congratulated.
"Thanks! Uh...who are you?" He replied
"You missed a few things while you were out." Rayla explained, "this is corvus. Hes on our side now."
"Ive always been on the same side. I serve the young king." Corvus corrected
"What?" Callum asked disheartened.
He looked down at his brother.
"I know about dad." Ezran said petting zyms head for comfort.
Callum came up and kneeled down in front of his brother. He sighed.
"I...I dont know what to say. Im so sorry that i didnt tell you. I-I tried to, but I just...couldn't. "
Ezran looked up at his brother and as he started to tear up, he jumped up to hug him.
Zym jumped out of the way and onto my lap.
The next morning, we packed up and got ready to continue our trip to xadia. I slept under the stars that night and though I regained some of my magic, it felt like I couldn't store as much magic as i used to be able to. I didn't feel weak per say but I felt limited.
"Everything's packed and everyone's healthy. And were just a few hours from the border of xadia." Rayla said happily.
"Packed and ready!" Callum piped up.
Zym stretched off his sleep with a yip and I followed after him standing up and stretching (except for my wing) then turning into an elf and walking ip to the group.
Zym went up to callum and yipped. Callum turned around and kneeled down to pet him.
"Lets do this." He said determined, but before we could set out, ezran piped up.
"Callum." He said, "when you told me assasins were coming for dad, i ran away and hid in the walls."
"With a healthy stash of jelly tarts, as i recall."
"Yeah. And when I found out dad was gone forever, i ran away again." He took a pause, "ive been running away from things my whole life. But i cant run away from growing up."
Callum stood up and put an arm around ezrans shoulder.
"Now that youre king ezran are you gonna start saying wise things like that all the time?" He asked trying to lighten the mood.
Ezran touched his brother's wrist and looked up at callum solemnly. Callums smile dropped off his face.
"When you grow up, you have to face things youre not ready for." Ezran replied.
"Wait what?"
Ezran walked away from callum.
"Im not going with you to xadia. I have to face my responsibility. Now that im king, i habe to go home. Maybe i can help the world better from the throne. I can do whatever i can to stop the war."
I think everyones mood dropped after that.
"Ezran, returning zym and (y/n) to their mother is the world's best hope." Rayla said.
"I know! And you guys will do that. Youll find their mom and zym and (y/n) will take their place in xadia," zym whimpered and i picked him up, "just like i have to take mine."
"Ezran..."
"I wish i could go with you, but i cant. You, Rayla, and (y/n) have to do this without me."
Callum was about to argue his point when corvus spoke up.
"Ill travel with the king, and keep him safe." He said.
"You better" i replied.
"Ezran, are you sure?" Rayla asked.
"Ill miss you, Rayla, but ill see you again." Ezran said going up to her and hugging rayla, "I promise."
"Youd better, we know where you live." She replied messing up his hair.
"Im proud of you cub." I told Ezran giving him a hug after setting Zym down, "and maybe after this is all over, youll get a visit from human (y/n)" i said winking at him.
He laughed and hugged me tighter.
"As soon as zym and (y/n) are home, Ill come back to help you." Callum said.
Ezran let go of me and hugged his brother.
"I love you." Callum said
"I love you, too." Ezran replied.
Zym started whimpering and put his paws on Ezrans leg.
"Dont leave me," he whimpered, "i dont want you to go. You haven't taught me how to fly!"
"Im so proud of you, little guy. You're gonna grow up so strong and good. Im sorry I couldn't help you learn to fly, but i know you'll get it soon!" Ezran replied then hugged zym.
When they separated, zym looked heartbroken.
Ezran walked up to bait, picked him up, and started walking away. Zym tried to follow after him whimpering all the way.
"Cant i come with you?" He asked sadly.
Ezran turned around and got down to Zym's level.
"I wish you could come with me too but you need to go be with your family. Thats your home. Both of us need to go home."
Ezran stood up and started to walk away again but this time I caught zym before he could run after him again.
"Im sorry cub," I said.
Zym struggled and whimpered in my arms and as much as it broke my heart there was nothing I could do.
"Please! Don't leave me! Come back!" He said but Ezran did not turn around.
A few minutes after Ezran was out of sight, zym calmed down and cried onto my shoulder. I just held him and after he tired himself out, he fell asleep.
We walked for a couple hours to the border and me, callum, and Rayla ended up taking turns carrying zym. He was too emotionally drained and depressed and he didn't want to walk.
"This canyon leads to the moonstone path," Rayla explained to callum.
"I can't believe we're almost to xadia" the boy, whose turn it currently was to carry the baby dragon, replied, "we came this far and Ez isn't with us" he said.
At the mention of ezrans name, zym lifted his head from Callums shoulder.
"I know, but we cant think about that now. hes doing the right thing and so are we."
We reached a pool of lava with floating stones. Zym yiped with curiosity when he saw it. I could hardly contain my exitement, i was finally at the doorstep of my home.
"One simply walks into xadia, huh?" Callum asked sarcastically reacomodating zym on his arms.
He took one step on one of the rocks and me and rayla immediately pulled him back. As we did so, zym jumped of and onto the floor.
"Hold on!" We exclaimed at the same time.
"Theres sort of...a trick to it," Rayla said picking up a rock and throwing it onto one of the stones floating on the lava pool.
Said stone, and all the others the rock had touched began to sink into the lava.
"Not all the rocks sink that quickly, a few will let us stand on them long enough to walk across. Those special stones are called the moonstone path." Rayla explained.
"Okay, great! So how do we know—" callum began
"Patience, friend," Rayla interrupted grabbing callums shoulder and turning him to face the moon.
As the clouds cleared and the moon showed itself, the moonstone path showed itself.
"The moonstone path! Oh...i get it" callum said as he watched the path.
Rayla began to take a few steps on the now illuminated stones. She got a few meters away, turned around, and bowed.
Zym jumped and yipped in exitement before callum, him, and me, followed after rayla.
As we walked on, the stones began to fall behind us one by one. Around the time we reached the middle of the path, i felt a weird feeling with the star arcanum, someone had just cast a star spell and i was pretty sure i knew who it was. Given there was nothing I could do about it for the time being, I ignored it and kept walking.
It seemed like zym had noticed my sudden stop for he yipped at me when i caught up and then kept walking beside me once i reached him.
We were about three quarters of the way there when rayla noticed the sky.
"The sky is getting lighter. We need to hurry! If the sun rises, we wont be able to see the moon runes."
As this hit callum, he yelled "run" and we all started running.
We were doing well until the sun reached the path and the runes disappeared beneath our feet.
Zym hid behind my foot and whimpered scared. Suddenly he turned around confused and yipped out "ezran?"
Thinking the boy had somehow come back, I turned around but i saw nothing.
Suddenly, Zym jumped up on my back and then hopped onto callums shoulders. He started flapping his wings and jumped off and flew for the first time.
"He's flying!" Callum exclaimed.
"Whoo!" Rayla celebrated.
And even i let out a "thats my zym!!"
He climbed and climbed in the sky as if he had been flying his whole life.
"He's trying to block the sun!" Rayla realized.
Then suddenly he fell. We all gasped and he whimpered as he hit the floor jumping from the rock he hit and flapping hos wings but never gaining any real altitude.
"He wont make it!" I said scared.
But Callum already had a plan, he cast aspiro on zym and using the gust of wind he created, zym was able to regain altitude and reach the top of the moonstone path's arch where he could then block the sun.
Rayla, callum, and i wooped in celebration.
Zym landed on the arch and used his wings to block out the sun giving us enough shade to see the path.
"We can see the path again!" Rayla exclaimed
"Run!!" I urged.
We made it to the other side just in time as the stones behind us fell into the lava.
"We did it! We made it across!" Callum said.
"Whoo!" "Yeah!" Rayla and i cheered.
The two love birds hugged and zym jumped off the arch and onto my arms yipping in happiness.
"I did it!" He said.
"You did! You can fly!" I exclaimed twirling him in my arms.
We crossed into xadia and i felt so good! I was finally home!
Now that zym knew how to fly, he wouldn't stop doing it. Instead of walking, he flew beside us as we made our way into xadia.
"Show off" i scoffed, a little jealous that i was currently grounded thanks to my wing.
Rayla and Callum laughed at me as i pouted but Zym landed on my shoulder and licked my face so I couldn't stay mad.
As we reached the border near where sol regem was posted, rayla took a few steps forward and turned around.
"This is it callum. Xadia!"
Callum looked behind rayla and gasped.
She turned around and I groaned.
"Oh no!" She exclaimed looking up at sol regem, "its him! Sol regem."
"I really don't want to deal with him...." I complained.