Prologue

The 20s were exactly what you would imagine, roaring. Prohibition was in full swing, but that never stopped anyone from having fun. Underground clubs filled with people from all walks of life every night. Music would sing as people danced to the beat, the smell of booze and cigarette smoke would fill the air.

I remembered the first time I ever stepped into one of those speakeasies. It was far more than I expected at eighteen, but the night life drew me in like a drug and I never wanted to come down from that high. There was something electric about breaking the rules, something completely unexpected from a person with the likes of me. In my everyday life you wouldn't even suspect me as the type to be so reckless. I was the daughter of the owner of one of the most influential telephone companies in New York. I held myself with grace, the perfect golden daughter to one day be the perfect wife.

The thought of it made me want to throw up. I DID NOT plan to get married or to be ruled by a man. The only man who I cared to listen to was my father, any other man I smiled softly and made it seem like I cared about whatever it was they were mansplaining to me.

I started working for my father as an operator straight out of my secondary school graduation. My father did want me to be married off to the perfect husband, so a "son" could run the company when he retired, but I protested frequently and we found a balance together. I would work at the company while obtaining a degree at a local women's college in business. After that I would stay with the company alongside a husband of my fathers choosing. I would do Clerical work for my husband who would run the company.

It doesn't sound like much, but being that it was the 20's— it was the best I could do under the circumstances. I was determined to find a husband that my father would approve of, but also someone who understood my need for even the slightest bit of independence. I wanted my father to be happy and have the future of the company sustained more than anything, but I didn't want the cost to be my own happiness.

Everything was planned out before the summer of 27'. I was working, attending college, and scheming my way through men until I found the perfect one for my father and me. I had it all. Well, all a woman could have back then. I was living the dream until Miss Florence Nighting came into my life.