Chapter 20: A Little Magic

Once they got back to the village, Adalie sets the twins down on the rug, and they sit there in silence. They seemed to tremble either from fear or feeling cold, so a warm blanket gets wrapped around them and she goes to the kitchen and sighs, sitting near the table. The twins get up and walk to their parents' bedroom and poke around and find Elk's old cloak that he would wear either during winter season or when they were traveling. They wrap it around each other, tears falling down their faces. The woman watches and she sits behind them and pulls them close into a warm embrace, "There there..." Aldara looks up at her, "Why did this happen?..." Divoky shakes, wiping his tears, "Why isn't our dad coming? He promised..." "Yeah, he said he was coming back..." The woman looks at the twins, and she sighs, trying to figure out how to answer, and she looks back at them. 

"Well.... sometimes people need some time, like time to heal, or time to readjust. Sometimes even promises can take time." She holds them as they sat on her lap and with a small spark, a red transparent Elk appears and the twins watch. The woman smiles, "Your father wasn't the best, but he was a good centaur. He may have done wrong, but he was lucky to be given a second chance. And if I had to be honest, I'd say he took that chance very well..." The twins reach to touch the transparent figure, but their hands go through. A soft green smoke leaves their hands and the figure becomes smaller and green as well and small memories begin happening before them. 

The woman watches as the small elktaur plays with the smaller children, faded laughter being heard and she hugs the twins, "It's always nice to remember the good days." They watch as the small figures run around before fading into smoke and disappear. Divoky looks at the cloak and then at the woman, "Before our dad split himself, what was he like?" The woman smiles, "Well... if I remember, he seemed rather... shy. He was very nice, and smart as well." Aldara looks up at her, "Smart?" She nods, "Yeah, he was." She smiles and fixes the cloak so it wrapped around the twins properly, "Some things we can't change, but just because he's gone, it doesn't mean he's not watching. He's always going to be here." She points at Divoky's chest, pointing at where his heart was and he places his hand on his chest and a small smile forms on his face, then he yawns. The twins lay down on her lap, wrapped in their father's old cloak and fall asleep.  The woman gently picks them up and lays them down on their parents' bed and leaves the room. 

Aldara opens one eye and she sees the woman sit with Adalie, seeing her mother crying and her ears fold back, "I don't think mom can find another centaur like our dad..." She snuggles close to her brother and she hugs the cloak, "Don't worry dad... we promise we won't let anything bad happen to mom... we'll wait for you..." She buries her face in it and closes her eyes as the tears soak into the fabric, "No matter how long it takes..."

.

.

.

.

.