Skateboard

Why was mom calling me at this time, I picked up the phone not knowing what to expect.

"Where are you right now?"

"The park, why?"

"Are you alone?"

"No?" Suna looked away trying to not listen to my conversation, I shot him a smile which he returned.

"I received a call from your coach telling me she found a good team around here. She told me to tell you to go check them out tonight at 4:30, I won't be able to bring you but you can grab a cab, I left money on the kitchen counter"

"Why can't you bring me, where are you going" I felt a twinge of sadness hit me, I hadn't even been here for 24 hours that she already had to go away.

"Sorry honey, I'm meeting a client in Tokyo tomorrow, I really can't miss it. I love you though, when I come back, we can go shopping though"

"Okay." I stated dryly, not even bothering to say goodbye I hung up. I felt tears of frustration well up in my eyes. Suna surely noticed this too because he gave me a warm smile and this awkward side hug. Tears were now streaming down my face. I got scooched closer to Suna, he tensed up a bit but didn't move

I hadn't seen my mom in over 7 months and she still decided to meet a client not even 24 hours after my flight landed. I know she does it for the family, but the least she could do is spend a bit of time with me.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked

"Don't worry about it I'm fine" I said as I wiped my tears away with the back of my hand.

"Let's get back to skateboarding" I added

"I'm not letting you get back in the skateboard like this" he replied

"Yes you are." I pouted

"Let's go get coffee, you don't have to tell me anything but I feel like drinking some coffee right now" he shot me another one of his iconic lazy smiles.

"Sure"

We walked in silence, I was carrying his skateboard and he had his backpack on his back. We reached a Starbucks, he opened the door and let me come in.

"I didn't bring any money, do you mind paying this time, I'll pay for the next" i gave him a slightly worried look.

"Don't even worry about it, I invited you here, I can't just make you pay for your drink" he answered

"Well technically you could, you just chose not to"

"Shut up and pick a drink" he laughed out

"Ok ok, no need to get agressive now Suna... I'll have a iced chai tea latte please"

"Sounds good to me, pick a table I'll go order" he said as he walked towards the cashier.

I decided to pick the table close to the window, outside it was getting pretty hot, nothing compared to California but still an uncomfortable temperature. I sat down looking at Suna who was talking to the woman behind the counter, she looked at me shit me a glare then went back to laughing with Suna. That was weird.

A couple of minutes later Suna came back with our drinks and what I assumed was the cashiers phone number. I was definitely going to make fun of him about it later.

"Here is your drink madame" he said handing me my drink.

"Well, how may I thank you young man"

"Perhaps by giving me your number so we can meet up for our lessons" he said handing me his phone

"Sure thing" I replied as I typed in my number in his phone, saving it as Miki with a skateboard emoji next to it. I handed him back his phone he saved the contact.

"The cashier gave me her phone number, told me to text her. What should I say? You look like the type of person who know what to do in this situation"

"What makes you think that" unsure if he meant it in an offensive way or not.

"Well you look like you always know what to say"

"Is that a compliment or backhanded comment" I said jokingly

"Wha— oh I see what you mean, but believe me I ment it in the best way possible, you look like a confident person... even when you're running you look so sure of yourself. You know what I mean?"

"Thanks, I'm glad you see me that way because most of the time I have no idea what I'm doing." I grinned at him.

"what made you start running?" the smile on my face immediately fell, he must have seen it because he immediately added that I didn't have to tell him if I didn't feel comfortable talking about it. To which I replied that I would eventually tell him, just not today. We kept on chatting for two hours, cracking jokes, laughing at the way the barista spelled Suna's name and about how she gave him her phone number. It was hilarious. I didn't think he would actually be my type of friend, but in reality once he warms up to you he's much more open and energetic than what he looks like.

"I'm so sorry Suna, but I have to go now. Not because I don't want to see you but because I'm going to see this team practice today and if I miss it my coach will kill me." I rambled

"Oh ok sounds good, I'll walk you home" he said. I tried to convince him not to but there was no way, once this man had his mind fixed on something there was no way to get it out of his head.

Once we were about half way home dropped the skateboard on the ground and told me to Stand on it. I had no idea where he was going with this so I just accepted. I put my first foot on it and it started wobbling. Suna stuck out both of his hand. I grabbed them and put my second foot on the board he then started walking. The board was moving, we were moving. Suddenly Suna started accelerating, I gripped his hands even tighter if that's possible. I turned my head towards where we were heading. The wind was flapping my hair around, and the sun was shining brightly in the sky. I loosened my grip on Suna's hands as he kept running down the street dragging me along. On his skateboard.

After a couple of minutes he gradually slowed to a stop careful to not make me fall over.

"That was fuckin' awesome"

"I know right" he answered, his lazy smile plastered on his face.

We walked the rest of the way in silence, it was the first time since I had arrived that I genuinely felt like I belonged here.