I Don't Understand Why, But I'm Asgore.

I woke up in a heavy haze, it felt like I was being born again or just woke up after a very long time. I rubbed my eyes gingerly as I began to take in my surroundings. Suddenly thought, I was very awake, looking around I didn't see the hospital room that had became mine. I didn't see doctors or nurses. I saw flowers, hundreds of beautiful golden flowers, that seemed to glow faintly. Standing up I noted I was much much taller, I was at least 8 feet tall, and furry? I rushed to find a mirror, and as if by instinct, I walked a very familiar path to a dull grey stone house. The inside was much the same, painted all gray. I marched to the mirror and peered in, not knowing what to expect. But I was more shocked than I thought, to see a real life version of Asgore staring back at me in shock. This had to be a dream, I must still be asleep in surgery. I looked around and kicked an end table making sure to hit my little toe. That was a mistake, it hurt, oh boy did it hurt. Okay that eliminates the Dream theory, so did I die? And what happened to Asgore, where is his soul? More importantly, what did my soul look like?

I sent an hour feeling out the magic around me, it was easy, seeing as magic didn't exist in my world. I was super sensitive to it, which made it easy to feel out and made it easier to learn in break neck speed. The next day I was using magic like I had it my entire life, good thing to cause I was now King of the Underground and of Monsters. I decided to check out the basement, yes that basement. Walking into it I noted there were only four stone coffins, one of whom was Chara's missing from them were kindness, patience, and, integrity. I checked the newest looking coffin, Perseverance it was empty. I had to, I checked the other two coffins. They weren't empty, a crushing guilt washed over me. Had Asgore killed these kids, or was it someone else. Flashing memories told me it was someone else, but it was Asgore's orders. As I walked back to the throne room I was surprised to see Gaster? Huh, that was a shock, I didn't expect Gaster to be here. I guess he hasn't fell yet, should I change that? Could I change that?

Asgore: "Gaster, what are you doing here? Did I forgot about a meeting?"

Gaster jumped slightly, turning to see Asgore, he calmed down a bit, but was still warry.

Gaster: "No your Majesty, I came on my own, I wanted to use you for a favor."

Asgore: "A favor, what kind of favor?"

Gaster: "W-well I was hoping.... to use the human skeletons to try and make some..."

Asgore: "You want to be a father?"

Gaster: "Something like that..."

Asgore: "Hmm, this is an unusual request... Question, would they be the same consciousnesses as the humans that perished, or be completely different?"

Gaster: "It depends on my methods mostly, I tried to make artificial skeleton monsters already. But with how weak they souls are seeming to be. I don't see them making it."

Asgore: "Those must be Sans and Papyrus, I'll assume that the lack of extra skeletons in game, means Asgore said no to this proposal before."

Asgore, looked to be seriously thinking this over, making Gaster break out in a cold sweat. He didn't know how angered his king would be with him asking this. All the while Asgore was debating on changing the story completely or not. Putting his hand on Gaster's shoulder, he motioned for the skeleton to follow him. A bit later, Gaster found himself in Asgore's house the king serving the scientist a cup of tea.

Asgore: "I will allow this on a set of conditions, one, you are not to terminate or neglect the artificial souls. Two the children's consciousnesses must stay the same, three there are to be no harmful experiments done on the children. If you can agree to these I will allow you the use of the skeletons."

Gaster almost spit out his tea, no harmful experiments? Did Asgore already find out his plan to use them to break the barrier somehow? Gaster had some how reminded composed enough to not appear shocked. But Asgore noticed the tale tell signs of stress, he had seen it a lot on doctors in his past life. So he knew this was probably Gaster's plan to begin with. A few more flashes of memories, and Asgore knew what AU he was in. 

Asgore: "I know you want to be the one to break the barrier. But I'm beginning to think using children to do so is wrong. I actually had a thought about it, the barrier sealed the opening of the cavern. But the second opening in the ruins, I don't remember it being sealed like the main one. I might be wrong in thinking that though. So what if we created our own exit far away from the Barrier, would that work?"

Gaster: "I'm not sure, I too don't remember the other opening being sealed but we really didn't check it thoroughly either. Without knowing definitively if it was sealed off, we can't know for sure if creating a new opening would work. And even if it is sealed that also doesn't mean one way or the other creating a new opening wouldn't work."

Asgore: "I think I have a plan, the underground is getting slowly but surely over populated. What if we used expanding the underground as an excuse to dig out and see if it works? I know the underground is both small and large it seems. But the amount of usable ground is small, would this work as a way to kill two bird with one stone for lack of a better term."

Gaster: "Hmm, that was a human saying correct?"

Asgore: "Indeed it was, it seemed the most appropriate at the moment."

Gaster: "Hmm, indeed it does fit best at the moment. And to answer yes I feel that would be the best course of action. But I have to ask, what brought this up?"

Asgore: "... Gaster... how long have we been down here?"

Gaster: "A few hundred years maybe a thousand?"

Asgore: "And in that time Humans have had nothing to do but reproduce and kill one another. There could be billions of them, and there's only hundreds of us a thousand or two as most, though I doubt it's that many. We don't have the room to rapidly reproduce like the humans, If they found out we killed 7 children to break the barrier. They wouldn't trap us again, they'd kill every last monster. Even if I or someone else absorbed all seven souls, the overwhelming numbers would eventually be to much."

Gaster's face paled, he felt sick, no worse than sick, he felt afraid. Billions of humans, vs hundreds of monsters? When it was an even field they were slaughtered, they'd never survive fighting a planet full of them. Even with what was basically a god on their side, it would be only a matter of time. Gaster could see now, Asgore was planning to increase hope, and numbers. That's why he wanted him to continue the artificial souls, and why he wanted him to create more skeletons. Increasing the size of the underground, the number of monsters, and changing the policies. Asgore was thinking of the future, and thinking of how best to survive and keep his subjects alive.

Asgore: "One more question, have you hear of radiation?"

Gaster: "Of course I have, why do you ask?"

Asgore: "What does it do to monsters?"

Gaster: "Well, nothing to be totally honest. Monsters are made of magic, radiation effects DNA and Cells. Why are you asking this?"

Asgore smiled, but it wasn't his usual smile, it was more devious, almost... cheeky in a way.

Asgore: "I think I have a way to insure Humans won't kill us if digging out works."