Weak - Part 8

"They have you, the games over." Lottie says, finally untying the rest of the ropes and standing.

Ingrid says nothing, watching Lottie. The silence continues in the room, no one knowing what to do next.

"So, Jamie..." Ingrid starts, Jamie re-grips the knives in his hands, concentrating on her every movement. His eyes dart back and forth between her hands and face, acknowledging every hesitation in her movement.

"Seems like you're a bit fed up of your job."

"What gives you that impression." He replies coldly.

"No Partizan wants to be a partizan, you grew up with no choice, no options, don't you want change?"

"I don't like change." You and Jamie keep your eyes fixed on Ingrid as he speaks.

She raises her eyebrows then turns to you, "How about you sugar? What's it like being a Princess, yet no one knows you exist, what's it like being neglected? Second best?"

Your friends on the floor stare at you with wide eyes, and you hate Ingrid for letting it slip that you're Lottie's sister, now you have to spin more lies.

"Shut up." You snarl through clenched teeth, avoiding your friends' gaze, "I'm not a princess."

"Don't let her get to you y/n." Jamie mutters.

"Oh and you dealt horribly with that poison, how weak."

"She's not weak." Lottie snaps.

"I saw how much you clinged onto Jamie, aw, the partizan will protect you will he? Is he your boyfriend?"

"I said shut up." you repeat, taking another step towards her.

Ingrid smirks, pushing your shoulder with her hand, "Ooh I'm so scared."

"Don't touch her." Jamie warns, again readjusting the knives, it's unnerving how comfortably they fit in his hands, how his years of training have brought him up to be so dangerous.

"You're such a rat you know that? Trying to cause others' misery for your own benefit, hurting them, controlling them, ruining their lives? You disgust me." You spit, clenching your jaw and giving her the hardest glare that you can manage.

She doesn't respond, but an evil smile tugs at the corner of her lips.

Suddenly, Percy leaps onto Anastacia and Ellie, knocking them to the ground. Julius chucks himself onto Jamie, trying to grab the knives from his hands. Jamie could easily cut him, get him off, but he freezes.

You've never seen him like it, too hesitant to use the blades.

Julius conquers, grabbing one and throwing the other to Ingrid

"I want him." She heads for Jamie and holds the knife to his flank.

Julius pulls you over and holds his own blade to your face, fear churns your insides, you don't want Jamie to get hurt. Lola and Micky are still struggling out of the ropes, Saskia is helping Ellie and Anastacia up and Lottie is staring at you and Jamie, too stunned to react.

"You think you're so brave do you?" Julius whispers into your ear, "you're mine now." You can feel the cold metal of the blade on your chin. He slowly lifts it up to your jaw and draws blood from your skin, you scrunch up your face and try to hold back tears.

"Hurt me instead." Jamie says, Julius lifts the blade from your face and returns it to hovering over your throat.

"No." You murmur, Ingrid nods to Julius ignoring you and shoves Jamie to the ground.

"NO!" Lottie shouts.

"If you move I'll slice her neck." Julius threatens. Lottie sobs, the others watch horrified, again powerless.

Ingrid stamps on Jamie 3 times, he recoils and tears drip down your face as you watch, mixing with the blood seeping from your jaw.

"Hurt me instead!" You sob, barely coping.

"Oh my god," Ingrid groans, "We're not going back and forth like this, Julius keep an eye on him I'm getting the princess."

She walks over to Lottie, leaving Jamie on the ground and bringing her knife to your sister's neck.

"GET AWAY FROM HER!" You scream.

"Shush," Julius snarls, bringing the knife closer to your neck, "you, pretty boy, get up."

Jamie winces as he forces himself up, staring at Julius with a glare that could kill.

Ingrid trails a nail down Lottie's cheek, "We can't take you all, and...well only one of these 'princesses' is on the price list and we don't need both so you can pick, which one dies Jamie?"

Everyone is stunned into silence, watching the cracked boy, finally break. He shakes his head slowly, tears dripping down his face.

"Kill me."

"Aw, well, I would honey, but you're worth A LOT of money, so...no."

Jamie meets your eyes, you know what has to happen, everyone knows what has to happen. But no one wants to admit it, say it. Jamie knows what you're thinking and shakes his head again.

"You know who you have to pick Jamie," You state, trying to ignore your stinging nose and eyes, "Lottie is the real princess, you need to protect them not me. The burden of worry is yours again and I'm sorry if you grieve, I'm sorry we failed, I'm sorry that I let you down."

"YOU CAN'T Y/N I WON'T LET YOU!" Lottie sobs, shaking behind the blade.

"Ingrid, this is too far-" Saskia tries to change her mind.

"Shut-up!"

The whole time you don't remove your gaze from Jamie's eyes, "I'm sorry if I ruin your life even more, but you have to promise me that-" you pause and draw in a shaky breath, "you'll laugh, you'll smile, you'll forget me."

Jamie still doesn't say anything but tears still run down his face and he looks as if he's been torn apart.

"Lottie, I love you so much, I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you. Remember, like Mum said be brave, be kind and be unstoppable."

"He still hasn't chosen! This death speech is quite boring." Ingrid groans.

"Ingrid seriously?" Julius finally protests, his grip on you loosening the slightest bit, "you're actually going to kill one of them? Are you insane that's despicable!"

Ingrid stops, staring at the crying teenagers in front of her. "well...fine, I guess we will find out how much they're worth first." She murmurs guiltily.

The statement floods you with relief but Jamie turns from grief to a boiling anger.

"I hate you," he spits, glaring at Ingrid, "get off of her."

"Very well, if you all leave peacefully with no fuss, I won't kill anyone."

Everyone nods.

"Leave the swords." Anastacia's and Ellie's swords are on the other side of the room, they nod again.

Ingrid reluctantly releases Lottie from the blade but keeps it up in the air, ready for any movement. Julius does the same and you and Lottie stand in silence watching intently.

You stare at Percy, he fidgets, but looks your way. You try to remember some of the simple BSL Jamie taught you a few weeks before, racking your brain for the hand movements.

You sign: Break it, break it Percy.

"What are you do-" Ingrid is interrupted by a flying Percy, he jumps onto her, causing the knife in her hand to skim across the floor. He must have broken out of the mind control. No one hesitates, Jamie grabs one of the fencing swords and throws it to Anastacia, she swipes Julius's blade out of his hand and it clatters onto the ground. Lola grabs the blade and slices open the last of her and Micky's ropes, they jump up.

Everyone surrounds Ingrid and Julius.

Jamie glowers at them with menace,"That was a mistake."