Hampton Court - Part 4

The months fly by, everyone trying to find out what's poisoning the students of the school, Percy's sleepwalking, the strange couple in Ollie's photos and how to find the Hamelin formula. As the year drags on you find that you're a lot closer to your friends, especially Jamie.

You hang out with Ellie, Lottie and Jamie all the time because you have the same lessons and although Jamie used to protect only Ellie and Lottie...eventually you realise that includes you.

One day in the library the four of you are walking to a table with books, a bit behind on school work because of all the worrying and searching for clues on everything going on.

A girl suddenly stands up on a table near to you, yelling and throwing her arms around.

Jamie drops his stack of books to the floor with a loud thud, grabs your arm and drags you towards Ellie and Lottie. He stops in front of them and doesn't let go of your arm, eyes pin-pointed on the scene.

Everyone in the room watches in a stunned silence, before the girl finally stops, then collapses. Her friends try to catch her but it's not the most elegant sight, and a few teachers rush over and gently take the girl away from her concerned friends.

Students crowd around the scene, and Jamie gestures with his head for Ellie and Lottie to leave first. His hand slips down your arm into your hand, then pulls you with him after them, butterflies swarming your stomach as he does so.

More things like this happen before you decide to speak to him. You step out of your room and see him waiting for you outside, he does that sometimes when he doesn't have anything on schedule in the morning. So...not that often.

As you walk lazily to your first lesson you build up the courage to actually speak to him, "Jamie, I don't want to burden you with another person to protect, I'll be fine on my own."

"Random." He has a small smile on his face.

"I've just...noticed recently you're... I don't know 'partizaning?' me too? But I don't want to make your job harder than it is, you know, cause it's quite hard. Because you're a secret guard for a royal family, but you're still a teenager, and weirdly mature by the way."

"What if I want to partizan you also,"

Your heart flutters, you try to ignore it.

Jamie glances over, "You're Lottie's sister, aren't you?"

"Oh, yeah Lottie. Precisely! It's your job to look after Ellie, and now Lottie, not me."

Jamie stops, facing you with a slight frown, "But what if you get hurt?"

You look up and stare at him, his scruffy hair leaves a jagged shadow above his brow, his olive skin highlighting the intense eyes beneath it.

You scoff, "I'll be fine, no one knows who I am! Also, if you try to protect three people at once, it'll just put everyone at more risk."

He nods reluctantly before you both continue and when you walk into the classroom, you greet your sister with a smile, hiding the worry inside.

------------------------------

Eventually the plan to visit Tompkins manor is in place and you're going as your friends plus one for the fencing tournament while Jamie and Lottie are Anastacia's and Ellie's.

Before you go to Tompkins manor there's a history trip to Hampton court; all four of you have to go despite not wanting to. Jamie stays in a bad mood most of the way there which just puts you down. But when you arrive something unexpected happens. Lottie goes into the restroom and you and Jamie wait outside.

"Jamie are you ok?" You ask.

"Yes." He lies.

You think how hard it must be for Jamie to constantly hide emotion, and feel a pang of sympathy for the 16 year old boy that already has his whole life planned out, working for someone else.

Suddenly, you hear a shriek from the bathroom. You and Jamie rush in to see Ollie, Lottie's childhood best friend, in the girls' bathroom.

"You bit me!?" Ollie stares at her with an expression struck between laughter and confusion.

"Why did you sneak up on me like that!" Lottie yelps.

"Ollie?!" You exclaim, the panic draining from your brain.

"Y/n?" He glances down at your purple uniform, "you go to Rosewood too?"

You nod. Ollie explains he's on a school trip to Hampton court too as Binah comes in. You notice Ollie discreetly staring at the intelligent girl and smile to yourself.

All of a sudden middle aged woman walks into the bathroom; when she sees you all standing in there, she awkwardly enters a cubicle with a confused expression.

When you finally leave the bathroom and meet with the others, your class continues walking around Hampton court, you see Lottie chatting to Ollie so run up to Ellie and Jamie.

"You alright guys?" You ask, they both nod.

"Okay..." you notice Jamie staring at the ground as he walks, "are you sure Jamie?"

"What? Yeah." Jamie glances up at you, then back down.

"You don't look alright." You say.

"He's like this most of the time y/n, I haven't seen him smile since the year started," Ellie smirks, "the thing is I wish I was joking."

"I have..."

"Have what?" She asks

"Seen him smile...and laugh" You reply, confused, you turn to Jamie.

"Wow! That's lucky."

"I am here you know." Jamie snaps, annoyed.

"It's just you Jamie, you're not happy all the time, but if you were I wouldn't like you." Ellie jokes, nudging his arm.

Jamie finally lifts his head, "I'm fine y/n, you don't need to worry, that's my job."

You smirk at him, "Nah, we can share the burden."

He smiles back.

"You're magical y/n! He's smiling!" Ellie announces loudly, "also what is this..." she makes a silly gesture, pointing between the two of you, "joke that you have that I don't understand?"

"It doesn't matter...on other topics...Ellie, what's it like being a princess?" You ask, completely blanking the question.

"Crap," she replies with a grin, "the responsibilities are endless, your sister helps me out though." She glances back at Lottie with a small smile and you can't help but appreciate her for caring so much about your sister.