No Time to Die

The impact of the iron cable against your right leg made you stumble, but you kept walking.

" Mach weiter ." Ordered the soldier behind you, and you clenched your jaw. They didn't tell you where you were going, but if you denied it, they would use violence to make you obey.

You didn't understand why they put you in front of a door, but you didn't get a chance to ask when thick chains were put on your wrists and ankles, and you were dragged into the room until you sat down in an iron chair.

You thought about screaming, but a helmet was placed on your head. All you could do was stare at the men in the room in fear, waiting.

"Specimen 32, contact test." Announced one of the soldiers, writing something down in a notebook. You watched as they brought out a small metal scepter with a bright blue tip, but then the iron chair you were in lay down, and you could only look at the artificial light coming out of one of the fixtures. "Insertion in ten seconds."

You mentally counted, trying to prepare yourself for whatever they were going to do to you. Closing your eyes as you reached one, you waited for the pain.

But instead, everything went silent. You blinked and realized that the room was empty, but before you could think of anything else, the pain came. And all the sounds came back. You screamed, feeling an intense burning in the center of your chest, which gradually spread throughout your body. A flash of light, and everyone holding you was thrown away.

You heard an alarm amidst the screams, but the pain was too great to keep your eyes open.

When you woke up again, there were bodies all around. And then a soldier was staring at you in horror. He cursed in German before he hit you over the head with the end of his rifle, and then everything went dark again.

//-//

"You never told us who you are or what you came here for, didn't you, girl?" The soldier remarked as he attached the leather chains to your wrist. You kept your face impassive. "Cat got your tongue, sweetheart?"

The mockery did not irritate you. You remained silent. The soldier laughed. When the doctors started testing you again, he watched with a satisfied smile.

The first time they made your mind go blank, you tried to scream. But all that came out were the words: "Yes, Master."

"Now you will share, I imagine." The soldier debauched as he sat down on a stool in front of you. "Why did you come to this place? What did you want here?"

"I was looking for my family, sir." You answer mechanically. "There were no masters before. I... I was looking for...." Something in your mind clicked. You wanted to cry. Your whole body began to ache all at once. What was happening?

"She is resisting the serum." One of the doctors announced beside him, his gaze glazed on the monitor. "Stop asking questions, you idiot. She is not expected to wake up."

"Increase the dose, then, doctor." The soldier retorted getting up. You remained seated, conflicted with your own thoughts. "Two bags of that stuff should be enough to keep her obedient. And believe me, the boss will want her to be nice and sweet. We're going to the Caribbean the day after tomorrow."

"It's too early." The doctor retorted. "It's only been a few days since she came in contact with the scepter. And we don't even have the precise dose of the serum. I don't think..."

"No one asked what you think." The soldier interrupts impatiently. "She better be ready for the missions, or you're the one who's going to bear the consequences."

The soldier turned back to you, and with a wicked smile, he pulled one of the knives from his uniform pocket, and in one swift movement, slashed at your face. The sudden pain made you tense up all at once, grunting.