three

"Molan? Are you okay?"

Jungkook's initial excitement dwindles significantly as the morning goes by. Molan is pale white during classes, and like she's seen a ghost - her eyes appear lifeless. The most concerning thing, though; is that she won't even look his way. Even now her eyes are glued to the floor.

"Molan it's okay if your answer is no but I'd rather you just said it and didn't keep me waiting -"

"No."

Jungkook raises his eyebrows. "Wow..." He sighs. "I know I said not to keep me waiting but that was a little harsh..."

"No I didn't mean 'no' I meant that my answer isn't 'no'."

"Oh?" Jungkook is a whirlwind of emotions. He's escaped rejection but he hasn't yet reached the exit to the friendzone. "Then... your answer?"

"I haven't given you back your nametag, have I?"

"You haven't..." He repeats, mostly for himself. "So... does this mean you'll go out with me?"

Molan inhales deeply. "I like you, Jeon Jungkook.  I like you, too."

Jungkook is shocked. These are the words that he's wanted to hear ever since he first laid eyes on her... but there's something in her tone that unsettles him. "Are you sure? You're saying it like it upsets you -"

"It doesn't." She refutes. "I've just had a weird morning." Molan breathes in again. She can't let the past ruin her future - but she can't move on without some assurances. "I want to keep the nametag. I want you to be mine but..."

"But?" Jungkook is hanging onto her every word like how someone falling to their death clings to a precipice with all the anxiety and strength they have.

"Jungkook you know how we were talking about secrets yesterday? If I told you my secret is the worst thing I've ever done... If one day you find out what that is. Will you still like me?"

"Well that depends." He replies. "Did you kill someone?"

"Of course not."

"Then... did you cheat on someone?"

"No."

"Are you a spy from North Korea?"

Molan's eyes widen with incredulity. "No!"

Jungkook laughs, amused by her strong denial. "Then I won't care. I promise."

"You mean it?" Jungkook nods and Molan stares at him severely. "I'm serious Jungkook no matter how bad it is you have to swear to me that you won't change your mind."

"I swear." He holds eye contact and Molan is resolved seeing the look in his gingerbread irises. Jungkook can lie with his words - but never with his eyes; it's something Molan is well aware of.

"Then today is day one for us."

Jungkook almost combusts at her words and can't stop himself rising up from the joy. In that moment he really thinks he might just float up and make a hole in the ceiling and then carry on going up into the air until he reaches space and then deep space and then infinity and whatever's beyond it. "You have no idea how glad I am to hear that." Jungkook reaches forward and pulls her into him; embracing her small frame in his strong arms. "You can't change your mind now either, okay?"

Molan nods dutifully. "Okay."

She isn't sure what will come of their affections, or if Taehyung will really stay true to his word; but for now she feels safe and her heart feels true joy. Her heart, which had turned to stone, is beginning to thaw.