Chapter One

Whenever a project was successfully finished at the Maximoff Company, the team responsible went out to celebrate.

An all-night party - from bowling to soccer games - that always ended in embarrassing photos, good memories, and the promise that the next time would be even better.

In the autumn of your forth year in the company, you had your first project as coordinator, a risky but high-profit thing. And after endless and exhausting hours of work, meetings and reports, came the reward.

You just wanted to celebrate. And preferably with the people who made it possible.

Surrounded by your co-workers and direct reports as well - Natasha Romanoff and Maria Hill - plus the rest of the team you coordinated, and the additional guests from the company, you had surely consumed more alcohol in the last fifteen minutes than you had all year.

You were laughing foolishly at Natasha's wry comments and Maria's stories, and when the next round of beer arrived, you were certainly talking too much.

"[...] That woman is driving me insane, I'm telling you!" You complained loudly and clearly drunk, while your friends giggled along with the subject having become the perpetually dissatisfied Wanda Maximoff, your boss for two years. "She made me rewrite the final draft three times before delivery week! Three! What kind of controlling, psychopathic person does that kind of thing?"

Maria and Nat shrugged, knowing full well what you suffered from in Wanda's management. She was extremely demanding and perfectionist, especially with whoever was in leadership. And getting the coordination position certainly costed you many lost nights of sleep.

Natasha filled your glass after hers. "The good thing is we made it, Y/N!" She recalled smiling, as inebriated as you were. "It was the worst month of work ever, but we did it. You did it, boss! You survived your first project with that witch!"

You, Maria, and even some of the other colleagues - Bucky, Steve, and Sam - who were at the next table laughed, and raised their glasses for a toast together.

But when the drinks didn't stop, you grew bolder.

"I just think it's fucking funny how she thinks she can boss us around like that!" You exclaimed in a mixture of anger and irony. Everyone was drunk enough to agree in unison. "Nothing is ever good for Miss Perfection! Remember when I missed my niece's recital to work on my promotion? She never forgave me for that! God, I didn't even show up to my dad's wedding to stay in the office!"

"To be fair, he was getting married for the fourth time..." Maria murmured softly, making Nat laugh, but you kept confessing to the whole bar, your voice high and alcoholic.

"She didn't even thank me for doing everything I could to make this project work!" You commented with a long sip of something that was certainly not beer. "Ungrateful, petty, little bitch-"

"Careful, Miss L/N, or I might end up thinking we have some kind of conflict." A female voice you knew well interrupted your speech and you froze in your spot, the shocked expressions of all your colleagues were to someone behind you.

Whoever the hell thought to invite Wanda to participate sure didn't plan your little outburst in the middle of the bar, but that didn't matter much. Because you were drunk enough to finish your cocktail and turn to her with a cold expression.

"What the fucking difference is it going to make if we have?" You challenged making all your colleagues hold their breath as they watched the interaction.

The emerald eyes in front of you flashed in a way that made your heart soar in your chest, and the manner in which Wanda locked her jaw sent a wave of heat straight to your lower abdomen.