Chapter One: The Invitation

*AUGUST 1 2038*

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock blaring loudly, signaling to me the start of a new day. I rolled onto my side and aggressively slammed the fingers of my right hand onto the snooze button. The alarm clock went silent and blissful silence filled the room. I groaned as I slowly sat up on my bed. I opened my eyes and looked around my bedroom, something I always did every morning when I woke up.

My bedroom was a medium-sized room with drywall, a large dresser fitted with a flat-screen TV that faced the bed, a window with red curtains on the right wall, white paneled folding doors acting as the closet on the left wall, 2 very large wooden shelves that stood proud and tall beside the dresser filled with movies and books, my nightstand that stood to the left of the Queen-sized bed, which is where my alarm clock and my phone stood, and a large wooden desk fitted with a second-hand computer that stood next to the nightstand.

I sighed as I knew what the whole day would be like, which would be the same old thing; spending the entire day trying to find a job. Now, that wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact that luck tended to avoid me or wasn't on my side at all. In fact, due to my lack of luck, I almost didn't get the house that I now live in. The only reason I got the house is because of one thing; my mother.

Rebecca Patel was the reason why I was still on my feet instead of living out on the streets. She even managed to help me get a car when I got my license after I turned 16. As a whole, I wouldn't be where I was or be the person I was today if I never had a mother like her.

The sound of my alarm clock blaring loudly snapped me out of my thoughts. I let out a low sigh, remembering what I would be doing today.

'Let's get this over with,' I thought to myself glumly. 'But first things first, I need to make myself a cup of coffee and get the mail.'

With that, I switched off the alarm, threw the covers off me, and hopped out of bed. I walked over to the dresser, put on a typical white T-shirt and blue shorts, and walked over to the door. As I reached for it, my eyes turned to the family picture that I had on the wooden desk.

I walked over to the desk and reached for the picture. I picked it up and stared at it. In the picture were a man with nicely combed hair, a stocky build, and green eyes, a woman with long brown hair, slightly tan skin that had a few wrinkles, and brown eyes, an adolescent boy, and a little girl with perfect color skin, blonde hair, and brown eyes.

I closed my eyes as I felt tears build up upon seeing the man and the little girl. The man and the little girl in the picture were my father and my little sister. A wave of grief and sadness washed over me and I tried my best to keep myself under control.

I never liked thinking about what happened. It has been over 10 years since it'd happened; something that shouldn't have happened to begin with. What happened 10 years ago was something that led to both my father and my little sister no longer being here with me and my mom. I always blamed what happened for the destruction it brought.

There were many times I wished that it'd never happened and that my father and my little sister were still here. I wished that my life was back to the way it was before it happened, but I was keenly aware that things will never go back to normal.

It didn't help that my mother was able to cope with it better than I did. For the last 10 years, I had been plagued by terrible nightmares, which always ended with me screaming in the middle of the night. Last night was no different since I woke up screaming in the middle of the night because of said nightmares.

In fact, one of the reasons I even moved out of my mother's house was because of the nightmares, as well as the fact that the house we lived in was a house that my mother and father bought sometime after they got married.