Distant past

I wake up to the sound of strange sounds. It sounded like it came from further inside the rock, but that couldn't be. Luina wasn't there and I have no idea how long I've been sleeping. I walked outside and saw that it was dusk. The sky was a beautiful mic of yellow, pink and dark purple over the green treetops.
"I'm right here!"
I suddenly hear Luina say. I turn around to see that she is standing on top of the rock. I scan the rock and quickly find a way up. In two jumps I'm on top of it and standing next to her. You can see very far and I'm taken aback by just how beautiful the landscape is.
"I've lived here for so many years, and yet, I'll miss watching the sun set over the forest"
She says. I'm so entranced by the whole scenario in front of me, that it takes a moment before I realise what she's saying.
"What do you mean? You're leaving this place?"
"Yes. It was never the intend that this should be my home, but sometime you just can't help but make it your home"
She was smiling but she had a sad look in her eyes. I have more questions but she takes my hand and leads me back down and into the cave.
"We can't stay here much longer. You need to go home before your own home suffers too much damage"
"You know about the smoke creatures?"
"Oh yes. The man behind them is the same man who deserted this planet"
I looked confused at her, but then she moved over to a wall and knocked on a rock. There's a rumble from deep inside, and the wall turns, revealing a very high technical area on the other side. I'm baffled and just follow her inside.
"I promised I would tell you everything, so let's start with this ship"

Luina takes me to a control room. She explains that this rock is actually a space vessel in disguise, and that it was built by her people. I watch as the "rock" shifts and form a spaceship. It's some sort of nanotechnology. She shows me a video of how it works. The computers are so small they make up what looks like liquid metal. It can seep into the smallest of spaces. Her people learned how to apply it onto various elements of the planet, even organic things. She shows me pictures of a society, thriving with both nature and machines. But like any civilisation they eventually met their demise.

"My people hungered for knowledge, but there was one subject they hadn't touched on. Soulmates and soulmarks"
She said and fiddled with her hands. I shivered thinking about humanity's own soulmate experiments. They were awful. I still don't understand why someone would ever want to damage something so powerful and special, even for science. Luina continued:
"It was strictly forbidden, but of course there were some who tried... One was successful, very successful. He had formed a group with species from other planets, and together they could experiment while not being noticed"
She shows me a picture of a person. I'm sure this is the same that is terrorising my planet, but what I see is not what I expect. He looks almost human except for the orange eyes and black, scaly tail. I look at Luina, but see no sign of her having one.
"None of his experiments survived, except for one"
She says and I can feel she is getting upset. Although I want to know what is going on, I don't want to push her. But before I can say anything, she shows me her palms. What I see brings an immense feeling of sadness and horror in me, and I almost puke.