One

In order to get to school, every morning I had to walk past the infamous Freak House. Everyone in Brantford has heard about Alex Vreeke, the kid who disappeared 20 years ago. Today, however, as I was approaching the house I noticed two guys around my age standing there.

Spencer Gilpin and Fridge

I vaguely heard Fridge ask Spencer why he was wearing a raincoat. Which in his defense, I was kind of wondering the same thing.

Spencer responded with a shrug, "Well it might. You never know what's going to happen."

Fridge just looked at him. A squirrel ran past them, along the fence of Freak House. It squeaked really loudly, catching Spencer off guard. He, in return, let out a giant "Ah." I let out a quiet chuckle, trying to be nonchalant about the fact that I was listening in to their conversation.

Spencer looked from the squirrel to Fridge, "Can we speed this up?" He began digging around in his backpack. You could tell being in front of Freak House was making him uncomfortable, and slightly nervous.

Spencer handed over a paper. Fridge began looking at the paper, before asking if he had proofread everything. They talked for a couple more minutes, before Fridge was picked up by a girl from our school.

Spencer was standing there, mumbling about what just happened. I watched as Mr. Vreeke approached Spencer from the entrance of his gate. I have no clue what exactly Mr. Vreeke said to him, but you could tell Spencer was nervous once again.

I decided right then and there, that I would help get Spencer out of the situation that he was currently in. I'm hoping he will go along with it, even though he and I aren't exactly best friends either.

Spencer noticed me approach out of the corner of his eye.

I smiled, "Hey Spencer. Did you finish the math homework? I was wondering if you could help me with it."

He stuttered a bit, "S-S-Sure Tillie."

I nodded, before looking over at Mr. Vreeke.

"I'm sorry to interrupt Mr. Vreeke, but Spencer and I must get going. School's about to start soon, and we don't want to be late."

Mr. Vreeke took a step towards us, "you should be more careful where you loiter, you hear me? This world swallows up kids like you. It did my son." He made direct eye contact with Spencer, letting us both know who those words were meant for.

Spencer and I took a few steps back from him.

"Yes Mr. Vreeke, we hear you."

I grabbed Spencer's arm, tugging him away from Mr. Vreeke. He glanced at him one last time, before we both turned and started jogging down the street.

————-
At Brantford High
-
Bethany sat at her desk in class, all the students around her working on their tests. She ranted on video chat to her best friend, "It's been over two hours since I posted. He hasn't commented on it, he hasn't even liked it. It's not like I post all the time, just enough to-"

Her best friend interrupted her, "Hey, there's some random behind you right now."

Bethany turned and smiled at the teacher, "Hi."

The teacher looked at her, "Hi. Bethany did you just make a call during the quiz?"

"Yeah, I finished my quiz already."

The teacher looked at her, "Oh well, did you not notice that the other people around you haven't?"

Tillie glanced up from her quiz, noticing that her cousin was getting in trouble. She laughed loudly.