Chapter Seven: Jealousy

Jealousy. A feeling one would think to be frequent in a relationship where two individuals shared one partner, and yet the twins almost never felt it toward one another. In the very beginning, all three of them made a pact to immediately discuss any feelings of jealousy, no matter how small, and the problem would be taken care of immediately. They always abided by this, and had never experienced any issues as a result. Yet, they were all relatively possessive individuals, so jealousy toward others was not unheard of.

It happened first for Kaida with Eska, when Korra had invited the twins to take a break from their chiefly duties and join her in Republic City. In all honesty, the twins had little interest in it, until Kaida expressed excitement about a vacation, so they obliged her wishes. Understandably, Korra was surprised that the twins were dating at all, never mind dating the same person – but she warmed up to Kaida practically immediately, and they became fast friends. As it turned out, some of the Avatar's other friends were visiting Republic City that day, so she introduced the twins and Kaida to the family of Suyin Beifong.

Korra encouraged everyone to join her and Asami in attending a pro-bending tournament that evening. Once again, the twins had little interest in it, but they were persuaded by Kaida's desire to go, along with the promise of getting to observe some violence. Before the tournament began, Kaida found herself chatting with Asami and Bolin, not paying much attention to where the twins were. After a while, she grew curious about their whereabouts, and turned to see the Beifong boy, Huan, brazenly flirting with Eska. Kaida had noticed him checking Eska out when Korra introduced everybody, and decided right then that she didn't like him. Currently, he was leaning on the wall beside Eska, obviously trying to look cool as he told her she was "like, really pretty" and "not like all the other girls."

Huan reached out and touched Eska's hair, one of the ornamental pieces at the front, and Kaida saw red. He was in the middle of another compliment when a throwing knife landed on the wall beside his head, then another two secured the hand that had touched Eska to the wall by his sleeve. Everyone froze, and he looked around the room with wide eyes, only to find Kaida walking calmly over to him, despite the rage in her eyes.

She stopped directly in front of him and yanked the knife beside his head from the wall. In a frighteningly calm tone, she stated, "Touch my girlfriend again, and it will be your skull I'm pulling my knife from. Understand?"

Still wide-eyed, Huan gulped and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't know she was your girlfriend."

"I didn't ask for an explanation. I asked if you understand me."

"I-I do."

"Good," Kaida responded, then retrieved the knives that pinned his sleeve to the wall, and walked back over to Asami and Bolin as if nothing had happened.

Although all eyes remained on Kaida for a while after the incident, everyone's conversations slowly resumed – but Huan now stayed far away from Eska. When the announcer declared that the tournament was about to begin, Eska grabbed Kaida's hand to stop her as everyone else began heading to the stands. Eska said nothing for a couple of seconds, and Kaida began to get nervous that she'd offended her girlfriend.

"Angel, I'm sorry if I offended you in some way by doing that. The second I saw him flirting with you, I was uncontrollably livid, and I just –"

Eska suddenly grabbed Kaida's face and pulled her in for a kiss. Eska kissed her roughly, and Kaida wrapped her arms around Eska, fingers clutching her tunic at the small of her back. Far sooner than Kaida liked, Eska broke the kiss and looked as though she was going to say something, but Kaida quickly spun her around and pushed her against the wall, and kissed her again. Eska's hands held Kaida's waist, pulling the vagabond as close to her as possible, and Kaida's hands cradled Eska's face.