Chapter Eight: Assertion of Dominance [NSFW, 18+]

By choice, Kaida had not called any one place "home" since she was seventeen – she very much preferred traveling the world, seeing new sights, encountering new people. As such, it was a considerable adjustment for her to be living at the North Pole consistently, after the twins had asked that she remain in the palace with them a short while after they began dating. Although she stayed in a separate room on a different floor than they did, the new living arrangement still enabled them to see each other as often as they wished. They respected one another's boundaries, meaning that they never balked if Kaida stayed in her room alone the entire day, or if she went on a solo walk around Agna Qel'a. Still, she began to feel... smothered. Not by Desna and Eska, but by the simple fact that this was the longest she'd been in the same place since she was a pre-teen. The wanderlust that creeped into her bones was practically nauseating.

So, when she received a letter from a high-ranking Fire Nation general, requesting her help catching their most wanted criminal, Kaida nearly jumped with joy.

A few months prior, the twins had created a chaise lounge out of ice for her to have somewhere to sit while they were in the throne room, and she'd been sitting there reading a book. (They had intended on making her a throne of her own and situating it between theirs, but Kaida noted that that may ruffle a few feathers, being that they weren't married yet.) When a palace staff member entered the dreary throne room, she didn't even look up from her book until he stood directly in front of her, being that she never received any correspondence; everything went to the Chiefs. She took the letter from him with a confused expression before thanking him, and he courteously bowed to her before leaving the room. Desna and Eska watched her with curiosity, noting the way a wide smile spread across her face as she devoured the contents of the letter. Desna was the first to pipe up.

"What is it?"

"The Fire Nation is requesting my help in capturing someone who attempted to assassinate Firelord Izumi, because so far, he's evaded everyone they sent after him. They caught wind of my track record, and they know I've never once failed to capture anyone I've gone after," Kaida explained, excitement evident in her voice. She looked up from the letter to meet his gaze, grinning widely. "Des, this guy has evaded the Yuyan Archers, but they believe I can capture him. How incredible is that?!"

"An extremely intelligent move on their part," Desna said, and the unbridled elation coming from Kaida coaxed a faint smile out of him. "We will arrange for our fastest ship to take you and your shirshu to the Fire Nation first thing in the morning. Just promise to not get yourself killed, and know that if we don't hear from you in a week's time, we'll send out a search party."

"Chishi will be so excited!" Kaida practically squealed. "She definitely enjoys the North Pole, but I know she'll absolutely love going on an adventure. Spirits, it feels like it's been years since we were on the road! I'll need to pack all of my old, warm weather clothes, and I should visit with the palace chef about long-lasting food to bring with me on the road. I definitely need to get all my throwing knives in order, and my broadswords, and they'll all need sharpened. Oh, and my –"

"You're not going."

Kaida and Desna both turned to Eska in confusion at her words. Although Kaida had been in a state of absolute joy and Desna was enchanted by her happiness, Eska appeared to be extremely agitated.

"I'm not?" Kaida inquired, confused.

"If this man has evaded the Fire Nation's best for weeks, you have no business putting yourself in danger by seeking him out. There are others equally capable of capturing him."

"There's nobody like me, my beloved," Kaida retorted, a cocky smirk appearing on her lips. "I'm the best there is, and they need my help. Besides, the amount of zeros on this bounty is enough to make my head spin."