Chapter Thirteen: El Fin

As the twins grew up, it was clear to see that they took different paths in terms of their personalities

As the twins grew up, it was clear to see that they took different paths in terms of their personalities. The princess learned at an early age that she and her mother, Eska, got along best when she emulated her mother, and she subsequently adopted Eska's deadpan demeanor. And also like Eska, if Elisa were to express any emotion, it was typically anger or agitation. Kaida was willing to bet money that a large part of why Elisa turned out the way she did was that Eska used to read her bedtime stories every night... but they were always horror stories or tales of bloody, gruesome deaths. However, although Elisa had the same cold exterior as her mother, she had a heart of gold beneath it. She was known to harbor a wide array of abandoned and needy animals from all over the world, tending to their wounds and nursing them back to health – although she didn't release nearly as many as Eska would have preferred, leading to the palace containing more animals than people on any given day. After Kaida explained to her wife that it was crucial that parents support their child's interests, Eska became involved in helping Elisa care for her animals, developing a particular fondness for the mink snakes, cat owls, and viper bats.

The prince was strikingly different from his twin sister. Being that Desna was more laid-back and accepting in his parenting approach, Denok never felt compelled to conform to any certain personality type. He ultimately took after his mom – empathetic, bold, adventurous – but got his love of reading and deathly quick wit from his father. Desna never minded his son's long-winded, energetic tales, and always trotted along behind the boy whenever Denok went off on an adventure, letting him sow his wild oats but always there to ensure his son's safety. Most who met the outgoing child were astounded that he was the offspring of the infamously quiet, withdrawn Chief Desna. However, no one ever genuinely questioned his parentage, considering the fact that Denok was the spitting image of Desna, save his mom's golden irises – especially when he wore his hair down like his father did, in lieu of the Water Tribe up-dos Denok frequently wore. He was a very handsome young man, not to mention the fact that his father constantly handmade him gorgeous, elaborate clothing – to the point that Denok never wore the same outfit twice. As he got older, Kaida found it thoroughly amusing to watch girls and boys alike stop dead in their tracks to ogle the prince as they'd go on walks through the city, and those experiences prompted Denok to develop a charismatic, occasionally flirtatious nature as he grew into his teenage years.

Elisa, on the other hand, was known to hiss at anyone who showed interest in her. Eska denied teaching her to do that, but Kaida knew full well that was a lie.

Both twins became skilled waterbenders, and although they occasionally bickered and had extremely different personalities, they were capable of fighting skillfully in unison, as Desna and Eska were known to do. Over time, they developed a unique fighting style, alternating between attacking their opponents individually and in sync. Regardless of whether they fought together or separately, they were positively lethal.

Throughout the years, Desna and Eska both struggled with parenthood, and neither would ever claim to be the perfect parent – nor would Kaida. Desna and Eska struggled to avoid treating their child in the same manner their father had treated them, but both Kaida and Malina always reminded them that they did wonderfully. Kaida constantly doubted herself, but her husband and wife incessantly informed her that she was an incredible mother, and how fond both children were of her was proof. It was sometimes odd for the children to navigate being twins but not sharing the same two parents, but they became perfectly accustomed to it over time. Ultimately, Desna, Kaida, and Eska were always able to ensure that Denok and Elisa felt safe, valued, and loved.

That's the end, folks! Thank you all for reading & I hope you enjoyed it. ♥

The header image was created by me on picrew, and my friend feral.riot did me a massive favor by doodling the second generation twins for me.