18

Two days passed by in a complete blur. They consisted of never-ending driving. We would stop long enough to use the restroom or get some food and water, but other than that we remained on the road.

We'd managed to get out of town. I kept looking out the window, waiting for the red and blue lights to appear any moment, but they never showed up. I prayed every second we got that we wouldn't be pulled over or Donald or his Pack wouldn't catch up to us.

Fortunately, nothing, but I didn't relax. I had no doubt in my mind that they were looking for us and that things would be even worse than they were if they did.

My body was tense all over, my anxiety spiked to the point of literal agony, and it felt like the air wasn't leaving my chest. I felt like I'd aged ten years since we'd left.

No one talked except to ask to pull over or to ask where we were. All of us were nervous and anxious and we were trying to think of what to do next.

I just told everyone to keep going and not look back. That was all I could

think of. I knew we couldn't do this forever, but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sarah sat stiffly beside me the entire time. She hadn't said one word since running out of the restaurant. Guilt shot at me as I realized she'd seen her parents attacked right in front of her and by her own sister. Even though she couldn't stand Donald or Anna either, and had wanted to get out of there as well, it still had to be traumatizing to see that.

I put my arm around her shoulders and said, "It's going to be okay." It was probably untrue, but it was all I could think of.

She just nodded, staring straight ahead, not even looking in my direction. Her expression was completely blank.

For some reason, the look on her face made me nervous. She somehow looked older. I wished she would tell me what she was thinking or say anything at all. I had no idea what to do and I had a feeling something was severely wrong.

"Guys," Blake said and started to pull over. He'd taken over driving to give Brandon a break. There were lines etched on his face, making him appear older than what he was. "We're out of gas."

A groan escaped me. Just great. Somehow, we'd forgotten about gas.

I didn't know how to drive or had even driven before, but I knew cars needed gas after a long time driving, especially after being driven for two days straight.

"Shit!" Perry growled. "How did we not think of gas?"

"I don't," Blake said. "But we either need to find gas or continue on foot."

"Continue on foot," I said before anyone else could chime in. "We can't interact with anyone else."

"I agree," Blake said. "The fewer Shifters we interact with, the better."

I looked out the window and saw that the sun was lowering in the sky. Winter was approaching and it would get dark in the blink of an eye. I cursed. It was already starting to get cooler and by the time the moon rose, it would almost be borderline freezing. Winters were a bitch and this was the worst time to be stuck in the woods.

I sighed. This was going to suck. Big time.

Perry looked at me with a raised brow. "Into the woods we go?"

"Into the woods we go."

***

Blake and Perry were still unable to Shift but at least the marks on their necks were going away. That was a good sign - at least I hoped so.