1. Steve Irwin

Claire and Owen realized it was just the rush and they still wanted - needed - different things in life.

"I'm NOT going back there."

"Please, just one more time. All of the dangerous classified animals have been placed in containment and are kept sedated." Claire walked out from behind her desk. "Your bungalow is mostly in tact, you can go collect some things, say goodbye to Blue, and then...."

She picked up a file off her desk.

"You have Blue?" His thoughts also wandered back to his bike.

"We would like you to meet the new velocirapert (that's great. You're writing a book about dinosaurs and you can't even spell voleoceraptor.) Veloceraptor trainer." He accepted the file only to set it back down on the desk.

"You're doing veliceraptors (Don't worry, I'll get it right one of these times.)
again!? Did the first 50 dead guys not teach you enough?? What, are they for the military?"

Claire scoffed. "No, they're not for the military. This one is more of a Steve Irwin type. And Yes, I learned several lessons, one to never trust a... "

Owen's eyes softened, "Claire... I'm sorry."

Claire sighed and walked back to her desk. "I know."

"Can I expect you there on Thursday?"

Owen clenched his fist and grimaced. He promised himself he wouldn't go back. But of course, sometimes friends are more important than promises.

.
.
.

"Hello, old friend," Owen all but cooed when he saw Blue again. Claire was right. she looked so lonely in her cage and was sluggish due to whatever they kept her pumped with. But there was something else that was wrong. She had started eating less as well, maybe she suspected the drugs were in the food.

Blue got up and trotted over to underneath where Owen was standing on the overhead walkway and cocked her head.

"Hey girl, here I am." Owen took a deep breath trying to work past the memories, that flashed in his mind every second, of his last time on the island. His last time seeing Blue. And nearly being eaten. He took a deep breath to steady his heartbeat.

Blue recognized him and started chirping and crowing.

Owen didn't have his clicking device but he thought he would try to run over his tests with just Blue for old time sake.

"Com' on." He waved his hand and walked to the other end of the cage. Blue followed at every step.

He tested her with a few of the tricks he could remember. "Left," he extended his right arm. Blue stepped to the left. "Right?" He switched arms. Blue followed again and Owen grinned.

"Okay, now up here, com' on." Owen snapped his fingers above his head and Blue stretched up reaching as far as she could.

Owen praised her then directed her down pointing at the ground. Blue took a step back.

"Down girl." Blue kept her eyes on him.

"Hey! I came all the way back to this godforsaken island just to see you again and this is how you treat me? Have you forgotten everything I taught you? What happened to our mutual bond??" Owen wanted to laugh and cry at the memories. He worked so hard. Spent years of work with them, but the second a bigger alpha came along they turned tail on him. In the end they were back on his side but not before nearly trying to kill him. He wasn't sure how to feel about it.

Blue clicked at him annoyed.

"Down." He pointed one last time.

She turned her head to the ground doing a half bow.