3. I Dino What To Tell You

Sorry if these are short chapters. 😂 At least I'm publishing! Also if you haven't noticed already this is going to be a more lighthearted story for now but maybe it will get more intense later on..... we'll see...
Please enjoy!

-

Stevie went to bed late that night. The hatchlings didn't start hatching until late afternoon and she wanted to wait until they were all born. Thankfully most of them went to sleep soon afterwards but Stevie waited up anyways. Eventually the clock struck twelve and soon after Owen escorted her back to the hotel.

The next morning she didn't fully gain consciousness until around 10am. Once she realized where she was and why she was she jumped out of bed, threw on a plain shirt and comfiest loose pants and headed out.

Today was a beautiful day on the island much like her first day. The sun was shining but it wasn't hot enough to bother anyone.
She hoped in her x23 cherokee jeep*, a gift from her new job, and she was on her way.

When she arrived to the habitat she let herself in to see Owen already standing by the incubator cage. He looked at her concerned when he heard her enter and then turned back and opened up the cage. Stevie rushed over now growing worried.

"Sorry, you better enter first."

Stevie looked at him confused but quickly forgot her worries when she saw her lively hatchlings chirping about.

"Good morning," she said in a light high voice.

They dashed over to her swarming before losing interest and swarming Owen. Stevie pretended to be jealous. But of who?

"Do you think they can smell raptor on you?"

Owen chuckled in response.
Before he walked straight up to the incubator where the two eggs still sat.

"They never hatched?"

Owen carefully picked up one of the eggs then paused. "This is wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"It's too light."

Stevie stepped forward and took it from his hands to see for herself while he signaled a security personal in the observation room.

"It's not an egg," he announced turning back to her.

Stevie examined the second egg confused.

"It's not... But then what is it??"

"A fake. We should have some tests run on it to be sure, it could be holding anything. Whatever it is, it's not nature."

Stevie stared at the incubator at a loss. She held back from commenting on how nothing on this island was "natural".

"Who else knows so well what raptor eggs look like? What these eggs look like?"

"How about I take these down to the lab and run some tests on them. I'll try to keep it on the down low. Is that okay with you?"

Stevie continued to stare at the inside of the cage. Who could have broken in?

"Stevie? Are you alright?" Owen touched her arm in concern and brought her back to reality. His eyebrows were furrowed as he concentrated on her.

Stevie snapped back to reality, "right! Yeah, yes, that's a good idea. Please do."

"Will you be okay?" Owen wasn't sure who was more helpless in this moment.

Stevie almost said no. Asked him to stay. The more she thought about it, the more paranoia crept in to her. But she didn't know him either. He was part of the unknown on this new strange world. Why did she feel so inclined to trust him? She shook off the thought.