2. And Then There Were Ten

Hm

The first egg cracked.

They had been sitting outside of the cage for half an hour when it happened.

"Look," Owen tapped Stevie's arm and hopped down from the tree that they had took up a roost in. He turned around to help her down but she had already scrambled down the other side. Stevie ran ahead of him trying to peak her head into the cage to see.

"There..." Owen pointed to one of the eggs when Stevie noticed. One large green and tan spotted egg had a circular crack in the top of it.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my gooood....." Stevie whispered. They watched on excitedly as another crack appeared.

Owen held his breath. Stevie watched excitedly. It was her first time seeing a real live dinosaur. She had of course seen the videos of them on the internet and spent lots of time watching them on YouTube but there wasn't much there on velociraptors.

"How big do they get?" She didn't take her eyes off the first egg. Owen looked at her. He remembered like yesterday when he watched his own raptor eggs hatch. This time it was Stevie's turn and he was no longer alone.

He raised his hand to the same level of his head. Stevie glanced over without focusing before staring back at the eggs. Then she jerked back to him wide eyed. "Really?!"
He nodded but didn't have her attention long before a crack appeared in another egg and stole her intense stare back to them.

They continued to watch together in awed anticipation.

"Have you ever tried to ride them?"

Owen paused and turned to look at her. "That's a bad idea."

"I think it would be a good show."

"A show?"

"We gotta make them into some kind of exhibit. They're special enough as they are, we just have to utilize it properly," she sighed. "Then maybe InGen won't think they have to create more mixed up disasters. What was that anyway?"

"If you wanna get ate, sure. Go ahead."

"And what exactly were you going to do? Make them walk back and forth in this circle? You would have the same affect if you waved around a piece of meat, which is what you are to them."

Owen snapped his mouth shut and open like a fish.

"We had a relationship!"

It took quite a while for the little guys to break out of their eggs. Stevie was impatient to get to meet them but she remembered how long it took when she took a school trip to an agricultural farm and thought she would get to watch baby chicks hatch. It ended up taking hours and her mom made her leave before any of them made it all the way out.

"What is that extra external cage for?" Owen explained the safety measures and different functions of parts attached to the cage.

Stevie was a very curious person and asked several of questions about the caged enclosure and past procedures while they waited. They went over every door and lever, and entrance and exit, and possible weakness to the habitat. As well as past accidents that occured in the neighboring habitat and what procedures are now in place to avoid any repeats.

The remainder of their time waiting they spent brainstorming ideas for training them. Stevie was intrigued when she learned they reacted to sound.

"I read part of your file and the reports of your work but it was mostly boring so I must have skipped that part."

Owen let his offense show on his face. "What?? What do you mean mostly boring? I'm a very interesting exciting person!" He huffed and pushed out his chest.