Chapter 3- The Gifting Ceremonies

Encanto looked beautiful.

The town was filled to the brim with lit candles. People laughed as they lit sparklers. Some were getting ready to go. Families glided gracefully to the magical home, filled to the brim with a simple miracle. I, on the other hand, still needed to change.

I changed into a simple mint green dress with heels. I loved green. It was associated with Bruno in my mind. My Bruno. I looked at my bag and pulled out the green ruana. I wanted to sob as it fit perfectly over me. It also matched the dress, making me almost want to wear it to the party.

I put it away. It would hurt the family too much. It pained me enough as it is.

I walked out of the room I was renting and to my horse. I untied his reins and led him into town. Luisa contained the donkeys and horses, and Camilo was greeting the guests.

"Man, I feel old," I said as Luisa walked over to me.

She did a double-take after she picked up my horse. "Tia?"

"Hi." Luisa put down my horse and pulled me into a bear hug. I hugged her back, even though I couldn't breathe.

"We thought you disappeared with Tio," Luisa said in amazement. "Camilo!"

Camilo ran over and grinned when he saw me. He wrapped his arms around me. They were getting too old. Especially since the last time I saw Camilo, he was only a newborn.

Camilo eagerly led me inside and disappeared to—probably—find Pepa. I stood behind a group of people. Abuela stood at the end of the stairs. She was so nervous. She didn't look much different from all those years ago. Maybe after Bruno, she stopped holding the highest expectation for everyone.

"Fifty years ago, in our darkest moment, this candle blessed us with a miracle. And the greatest honor of our family has been to use our blessings to serve this beloved community. Tonight, we come together once more as another steps into the light. To make us proud."

A drumroll was given as the curtains were pulled aside. Antonio stood there. Two spotlights were put on him. He was so nervous. Abuela walked up the stairs to the top, waiting for Antonio.

Antonio looked off to the side. Mirabel came out not long after. I smiled. The girl held the small boy's hand all the way up the stairs. Everyone stared. Antonio placed his hands on the candle. "Will you use your gift to honor our miracle? Will you serve this community and strengthen our hope?"

Antonio nodded. He softly reached up and touched the doorknob. It glowed brightly. Antonio's door appeared, making me smile brightly. A bird landed on his arm. His curious eyes gleamed as the bird talked to him.

"Uh-huh. Uh-huh. I understand you," Antonio said, making me smile at his little voice. "Of course they can come."

The bird called into the night. Hundreds of animals flooded into the casita.

"We have our new gift!" Abuela announced.

Everyone cheered. I lingered behind. Maybe it was time to face the Madrigals after a decade. The room emptied, leaving me in the middle of the room. The tiles nudged my feet. I looked up at the stairs, looking at the glowing door.

I heard something shimmer not too far from here. I looked up and froze. Another door was waiting. I walked up the stairs, getting another reassuring nudge from the floorboards.

I felt something crack below me as I reached for the doorknob. I jumped back, watching a shingle fall from the roof. Grabbing onto the doorknob, I snapped it open. I needed to get away.

The door formed, swinging open and making me fall. Everything flooded around me at once. I was hyper aware of everything. The sound of music coming from Antonio's room. The casita rumbling underneath me.

"(Y/n)?" Someone was outside my door. "(Y/n)! (Y/n)!"

"I'm okay," I mumbled, realizing I was on the ground as someone pressed their hand against my forehead. "I'm okay. I'm fine."

"What is she doing here?" Abuela demanded, my head pounding.

"I invited her, mama," Pepa said defensively.

"Let her rest."