Chapter 8- Miracles

"(Y/n)!" Pepa called. "(Y/n)!"

"She was in the house," Julieta said. "I remember."

"No," Pepa said, choking on tears.

Her best friend was nowhere in sight. She assumed the worst.

~~~

The water felt really nice against my legs. The sun was rising. People called both of our names in the distance as the sun got higher and higher. I ignored them. No one really wanted to see us. They wanted to know if we were still living. Then we would be banned from Encanto.

Mirabel found me by the river and curled into my side. I wrapped an arm around her, knowing she felt pain. I wanted to be with her as she grew up. Maybe she wanted me there as well.

"(Y/n)," Señora Madrigal breathed. "Mirabel."

"I'm sorry," Mirabel croaked as I rubbed her back. "I didn't want to hurt us. I just wanted... to be something I'm not."

Senora Madrigal sat next to me. "I have never been able to come back here. This river is where we were given our miracle."

"Where Abuelo Pedro..." Mirabel trailed off.

"Where I lost my father," I said, nodding in agreement. "We both lost someone important to us that day."

Senora Madrigal smiled. "Remember when I found you and Bruno dancing here?"

"My dress was soaked," I remembered. "He wanted to be carefree. His visions were a burden. Isabela had just been born."

"I was given a miracle before. A second chance. And I was so afraid to lose it. Until I lost sight of who our miracle was for. I was so hard on all of my children, trying to keep it burning. I was hard on you. And I am so sorry," Senora Madrigal admitted. "You'd never hurt our family. We are broken... because of me."

I took her hand, surprising her. I felt like a little kid. Back when the triplets were just managing their powers. Senora Madrigal was proud of them and took my hand. Now I was taking hers as I led her out to the river.

"Abuela, I can finally see," Mirabel said, taking her other hand. "You lost your home. Lost everything. You suffered so much all alone. So it would never happen again. We were saved because of you. We were given a miracle because of you. We are a family because of you. And nothing could ever be broken that we can't fix. Together."

"I asked my Pedro for help. Mirabel... He sent me you," Senora Madrigal said before pulling us into a hug.

A swarm of yellow butterflies flew around us, making the three of us smile. The river was illuminated with colors. I twirled in the water as Mirabel helped Senora Madrigal to the shore.

"She didn't do this!" The voice made me freeze.

A horse crashed through the clearing, with Bruno on top. "She didn't do this! I gave her a vision." Bruno fell. "It was me. I was like, 'Go!' And she was like, she only wanted to help. I don't care what you think of me. But if you're too stubborn to-"

Bruno stopped himself when Senora Madrigal hugged him. "I feel like I missed something important." She pulled away.

"You did." I placed a soft kiss on his cheek. "Now, come on."