Chapter 6- The Dinner Disaster

I silently walked down to dinner in a daze. The vision was still haunting me. I was the reason the house was falling apart. Why Luisa was losing her power. I was breaking the balance.

"The Guzmans and the Madrigals together will be so good for the encanto," Senora Madrigal said.

"Yes! Then let's hope tonight is not a horrible disaster," Senora Guzman joked.

"To a perfect night!" Senora Madrigal said. "Salud!"

"Salud!" we echoed.

"(Y/n), are you okay?" Pepa asked.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. Just fine," I assured her.

Camilo glitched, startling me. I looked at Mirabel. She panicked. Felix spit out his drink across the table. The sheer panic in his eyes and the fake smile Camilo was giving told me everything was not okay.

"Mirabel. The cream, please," Senora Madrigal said.

"Pa, the cream," Mirabel requested.

"Pepa, the cloud," Senora Madrigal said.

"Pepi." I walked over and soothed her. "Clear skies, remember? A sunny day in Encanto."

She took deep breaths, listening to my voice. The cloud disappeared. Senora Madrigal smiled gratefully at me. After all those years, I still remembered how to calm Pepa down. Pepa looked at me gratefully.

"Mirabel?" Mirabel hit her head on the table. "Is everything okay?"

Augustin laughed. "Everything's great! She's just excited. For you to propose. Which you should do as fast as you can."

"Uh... I was actually gonna-"

"You were actually gonna! Great!" Mirabel turned Isabela's chair around quickly.

"Well. We-Well, since everyone here has a talent, my Mariano wanted to begin with a song. Luisa! Could you bring over the piano?" Mrs. Guzman requested.

"Okay," Luisa croaked, holding back tears.

Mirabel laughed nervously. "Uh, it's actually family tradition to sing after." She pushed Mariano out of his chair and onto one knee.

"Isabela, you're the most graceful of all the Madrigals." Mirabel covered a crack in the floor.

"You're doing great," Mirabel breathed.

"The most perfect flower in this entire Encanto-"

Everything fell apart. Luisa cried when she couldn't get the piano through the opening. Thunder cracked, scaring some birds into circling the table. My powers went haywire. My eyes glowed like the galaxy.

"Mirabel found Bruno's vision! She's in it! She's going to destroy the magic, and now we're all doomed!" Delores screamed.

The tray slid across the table to Senora Madrigal's view. Everything stilled. My hair shimmered wildly. The night was giving me power. The house was breaking. Pepa's cloud was growing bigger. I heard a distant cheer as it poured. Senora Madrigal looked at Mirabel in such shock.

"I'm not doing anything!" Mirabel exclaimed as people ran out of the dining room.

"You aren't, Mirabel," I assured her.

Mice scampered across our feet. One climbed up my dress to my arm, making me giggle. Bruno was fond of rats, making me fond of them, too. They were always his friends.

"I'm following them."

"I'm calming everyone down," I said, the two of us going in separate directions.

I ran down to Senora Madrigal. She closed the doors to the casita.

"Senora, I'm sure everything is-"

"You started this!" Senora Madrigal exclaimed. "If you hadn't come to town, none of this would've happened!"

"Mama! It's not her fault!" Pepa said, stepping in front of me. "She is my friend. Our friend. Her mama forced her out of Encanto. It was her choice to come. She wanted to see the next Madrigal get his gift."

"She's our tia, Abuela. She is the one who helped us with our powers," Luisa agreed, stifling her sobs.

"We're keeping her around, Mom. For good, this time," Julieta said, walking away.

Some hid in their rooms. Others stayed with Abuela to calm down. I hid. I didn't want to deal with the look of shame on Senora Madrigal's face. The stars were comforting. But I could see things in them.

"I see... pain. Heartbreak. Reunion," I mumbled, watching how the stars shifted to form prophecies. "I see... Happiness."

AstrologistOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara