Chapter 11- A Not-So-Normal Day

"¡Hola, señorita!"

"Good afternoon, (Y/n)!"

"Good afternoon!" I called back as I ran around town. "Camilo, can you help me with Tonito?"

"On it!" Camilo ran with me.

Antonio was having a hard time controlling his animals. I scooped the now-six-year-old into my arms, making his mood lighten. Camilo pulled silly faces as I lightly tickled the boy. Soon, he was laughing.

"Thanks, you two," Antonio said. He then frowned. "They're not listening."

"You have to be stern. Especially with the capybaras. They're drama queens," I joked.

Antonio laughed. "Thank you, (Y/n)."

"Anytime," I said, glancing at Camilo.

"I'm going to get you," Camilo said, making a smile spread across both of our faces.

"No, you're not!" Antonio squealed, running off.

I rolled my eyes, but walked back into town. Isabela was dancing around, spreading flowers along the riverbank. Luisa was fixing a house while happily talking to the inhabitant. Julieta was running her stand filled with goods. She handed me an arepa. Warmth filled me from the bite as I nodded thanks to her.

"The visions are happy this time!" Bruno cheered as he walked over to me.

"Good, amor." I smiled back at him. He was so happy about his accomplishments.

"Hola, Bruno! Hola, (Y/n)!"

"Hola," we replied, smiling back at the villager.

"Mirabel!" I called.

She looked over at me. "Anything we can do?"

"We're going in for dinner soon. Turn in early," Mirabel explained.

We nodded and held hands. Bruno joked with me as we headed back to the house.

My powers were useless during the day. Mirabel suggested I start being nocturnal, but then I wouldn't see anyone. Bruno even panicked when she suggested it. Maybe he was afraid we would drift apart.

Isabela swung into the house on a vine. A strand tangled into our hands, intertwining so that it would keep our hands together. It was Isabela's way of teasing her uncle, along with the smirk she would give before waving her hand.

Senora Madrigal said she was preparing for an event at the house. I could tell by how she had Isabela plant cool-colored flowers around the railings and pillars. Maybe Pepa or Julieta had an announcement only Senora Madrigal knew about.

"Do you know what this is about?" I asked curiously.

Bruno shrugged. "No clue."

We helped Julieta set the table. She smiled and laughed with Bruno, even whispering some things to him. Julieta bumped me with her hip, making me smile. She always treated me like I was her sister.

Abuela was the first to sit down. Bruno and I followed, along with the adults. The kids were the last to come in, chattering lively among themselves. Bruno kept fidgeting with ruana with his left hand, and eating with his right.

"Did you hear about the solar eclipse?" Pepa said.

"The whole village is going to be celebrating," Senora Madrigal said. "They're already planning a festival."

"Discoveries will be made," a voice said in my head, making me repeat it out loud.

Bruno grabbed my hand under the table, drawing me out of the stars. The glow in my eyes disappeared, but the gray streaks in my hair still shimmered like glitter. It was like his powers balanced mine.

"Come on, Madrigals. Let's get ready to turn in," Senora Madrigal said, noticing that it was getting late.

"We're not turning in," Bruno whispered to me as people got up.

"Then where are we going?" I asked, confused.

"Making a vision come true," Bruno teased as we walked out of the casita.

We ran to the mountains. I fell to the grass after I tripped over a clump of grass caught on my sandal. Bruno lifted me up bridal style and set me gently on a blanket already set out a couple of feet away.

Bruno laid with me, watching the stars. I was watching the prophecies. I smiled when I saw Bruno and me dancing. At that moment, Bruno grabbed my hand and kissed it softly. I blushed, turning onto my side.

"Why did you bring me up here?" I breathed.

"We're old, and we need to make these moments last," Bruno said, making me smile.

"Come on, Bruno. They're deception behind that sentence," I said, listening to the whispers.

Bruno sat up, sighing. I was worried I did something wrong. He got down on one knee as I sat up, watching. I covered my mouth in shock. The whispers were getting quieter as I focused on the moment.

"Will you marry me?"