Prolouge - Niccolò Vinci

Prologue - "Niccolò Vinci"

Niccolò "Nico" Vinci | First POV
Location: Sicily, Italy

A loud grumble erupted from the sky followed by a zigzag of purple lightning that seemed to light up the whole island. It looked as if someone at took a knife and cut right through the skyline. The low dark gray clouds and the sea salt I tasted in the air let me know it was going to be a storm starting soon.

I let out a sighed while my thumb flicked against the metal lighter in my hand once again. I liked to watch the flame come out repeatedly. The flame was steady and little but if you gave it a bigger surface to expand on; it could become uncontrollable and massive.

Something monstrous could be created from this little flame right here; something that I have full  control over.

"Sir?"

I put the lighter back in my suit pants pocket as I turned around to see my consigliere staring right back at me. His face held that same serious look that always seemed to be on his face. I often wish he would lighten up sometimes.

"It's going to start storming soon—hopefully we will be on the plane by then" I told him.

"You sure? The weather app said it wouldn't be no storms today or tomorrow"

I only nodded my head in response as I made my way over to him. I had lived on this island for half of my life; I knew when it was about to start storming. It was going to be a chaotic one too.

He brought his fist to his mouth; clearing his throat before speaking again "I came to get you because it is time for the last wake ceremony" Jaxon spoke.

Just as the words left out of his mouth; the sound of the church bells echoed through the room in a sync. I didn't dislike funerals nor did I actually like them either. It was more of a 'I just put up with them whenever I need to' type of situation. The last time that I had attended a funeral was my own father's which was five years ago. It was actually the last time I had visited my birth place.

Sicily, Italy.

Home to four of the most notorious crime families in the entire country. Moretti, Valentini, De'Luca, and Vinci had been in charge for over a hundred years now. Dating all the way back to World War II when our first generation crime family had formed.

I Niccolò Vinci was the next successor; something I had been preparing for since the day of my father's assassination.

"Let's get this over with Jax; I'm ready to go back home" I told him walking passed him as I headed out the door.