"We Have A Slight Problem."

Narrator's POV

'
'
'

She couldn't believe it.

Payton was finally Liam and Skylar's legal guardian.

Payton was currently sat on the sofa, papers in hand and a soda pop in the other. Her smile only grew as she read over the lines,

"Parental Rights of Liam and Skylar Johnson are joint to Mister Chase Johnson, Miss Sarah Jones and Miss Payton Adams".

Her frown began to overpower her happiness as she read Sarah still had her rights to the kids.

Payton didn't want to turn against the idea. Of course she wanted their mother to be in the kid's life. But in the short peroid of time that Payton knew Sarah, all she seen were red flags.

It had been almost 3 weeks since Sarah had last seen the twins. Due to Chase's hard decision, it was in the children's best interest that Sarah wasn't with the kids alone.

Not to mention the fact that Sarah had hardly taken an interest in the twins' life.

But some part of her still felt guilty. Sure, it wasn't her decision to take custody, but she didn't want to come off as the woman who took kids away from their mother.

Payton was snapped out of her thoughts as her laptop rang. She opened the screen to see Lola's name pop up on the screen.

She pulled the curser over the bright green button and clicked, waiting a few seconds before Lola's face finally popped up on the screen.

"Wassuuup." Lola belted out with the imfamous "Scream Line", making a short giggle escape from Payton, making her return the line as they both burst out into laughter.

"How is my boo thang doing today?" Asked Lola, making Payton smile.

"Still on the a-okay line." They exchanged a few casual lines of conversation before Lola noticed the papers laying next to Payton.

"What's that? I hope it's a new property look-up. You seriously need to get out of that place." Payton just rolled her eyes, knowing she made it out worse than it was.

"Lola, it's not as bad as you think. I have running water and a roof over my head, what more do I need?" She raised her eyebrows, awaiting an answer.

"Uhh a non creepy, sexist lanlord and running water that ins't always cold?" Payton sighed in shame. "If I could afford it, I would move." She admitted,

"Didn't Chase offer you a live-in position?" Payton paused in thought for a moment.

"Yes, but, I'm still behind on bills, my credit score is down the drain and even if I could move, given my property history, who would rent me a place that's actually decent enought for what I can afford?"

Lola shook her head once again. "Don't you basically live at Chase's Monday through to Friday?"

"Well.. yes bu-" Lola cut Payton off.

"Do you know the kids' allergy notes?"

"Yes, although-"

"Do you know Chase's allergy notes?

"None except from a particular bird originated from India. Parakeet feathers to be exact. I think he was in a grainfield when he was a kid, caught a bad rash and he went through tests. They thought it was from the yellow grain the field grew but it turns out the reaction was from the parakeet feathers- what?"

Payton cut herself off as she notice Lola stare at her immensly with a creepish grin on her face.

"What?" She asked defensively.

"It seems you know more about Chase's allergies more than the acutal kids you babysit." Lola chuckled, sipping on her wine.

"It-It's a memory thing." Payton responded and looked into her can of soda.

"Suuure."

There was a pregnant pause before Lola spoke up again.

"Why don't you talk to him about it? There is literally zero cons about the idea. From what I know, the kids love you! Chase adores you. He said it himself, he wouldn't have anyone else taking care of his kids!"

Payton paused in thought.

"I just don't want anything to go wrong then I need to move out. If I gave up this place, I wouldn't have anywhere to go."

"If... and I mean its a BIG if.. it to have ever happen that you needed to move out, you always have a place here to stay until you found somewhere else." Lola responded.

Payton shook her head. "I wouldn't put that burden on you."

Lola scoffed.

"You've been my best friend since we were in diapers, you are in no way a burden." She paused before speaking up again.

"He told you to think about it. Take a few days, way out your options and see what happens."

As Payton was about to change the subject onto a brighter topic, she apologised and excused herself as the ringtone echoed through her cell phone.

"Hello?"

"Payton, it's Chase...we have a slight problem." Chase panted through the speaker like he had just ran a marathon, causing the eyebrows on Payton's head to furrow together.

"Chase? What happened?" Panic had began to settle in as he no longer directly answered to her.

"She's gonna kill me... fuck!" He groaned, probably thinking that Payton couldn't hear him.

"Chase, what's going on?" She asked once again.

"Payton, I swear if I knew, it wouldn't have gotten this far..."

Now he's pushing the button.

"For Pete's sake! What the hell is going on?!"

"I-I think... I think Sarah left town with the kids."

I'm gonna kill that son of a bitch.