I Might be High, but I Know I Love You

He surprised me with the tickets. I was not expecting to find tickets to a Ricky Montgomery concert. This seems like a great way to spend time with him. He knows I've been wanting to go out again. He plans everything. I know nothing about this event.

The day finally comes and we embark on this beautiful journey. He confesses he did try and find a soccer game, but none of the teams I would have cared about were playing so he chose against it. He gets us to our seats, and we have a fun time waiting for the show to begin.

The opening notes to Line Without a Hook start playing and I immediately understand why we are here. It's perfect. We sing along and enjoy the show. The sun starts setting a few songs later and the songs get less and less important to me. All I can think about is being here with him, and how he did this for me.

Then I here it. "I'm headed straight for the floor." That's what gets me. The opening line to Mr Loverman makes my heart break as I realize that I love him. I reach over and take his hand. Tears in my eyes, I sing to him about my heartbreaks, and he understands. He was the one who helped me. I finally see him in a new light.

The chorus starts and I sob. He hears it and pulls me close. We wait out the song and I try to recover, but I'm tearing at the seams. I keep my grip on his hand, afraid that if I let go I will never be able to take hold again. He looks at me solemnly.

As the concert ends, we walk to his car in silence. We drive in silence. The only sound we here for a while is silent sniffing from me trying to calm down. I only speak up when I realize we are not going home. I finally see we are driving to the middle of nowhere. He drives to an open field with very clear view of the sky.

I understand why he brought me out here. He goes to the back of his car and pulls out a pre-rolled blunt. He lights it and we share it, reveling in the feeling of freedom and weightlessness. We sit there and stare into the void, thinking about everything and nothing. Somehow, by some unexplained miracle, our thought direct to us at the same time, and we both speak up.

We talk about us for a while, never looking away from the heavens and we realize what we want. We realize what we need. Who we need. We need each other.

I reach out and grab his hand again, and this time I feel it. The physical connection and I know. I look at him and bask in his beauty, how perfectly the starlight decorates his face. He turns to look at me. We share a soft fit of giggles before moving closer. Our foreheads touching, I can feel his breath on my lips. My eyes flash down, them quickly close. In a sudden fit of confidence I lean over and kiss him. It's short but it says everything. He kisses me back and we know.

Even in our intoxicated state, we know that this moment has changed our lives. We face back up to the sky, shifting ever closer, until we are so close our bodies feel as though they are one. We stay like that for a while, resting under the stars. He finally pulls us up and gets us into his car again. He is still buzzed, but I am more so, having done most of the smoking.

He drives us to his house in the middle of the night. Halfway through the drive I plug my phone into the aux and hit play on a random song. It hits me like a bus. "I'm headed straight for the floor, the alcohol served its tour." I break down again, crying tears of joy. I sing the song again, even though he is right next to me. We both know what it means.

We arrive at his house and stumble back inside. He pulls me to his room and we change into more comfortable clothes. Ready to collapse, I pull his sheets open and climb into the bedding. He climbs in after me and holds me close. I pass out enveloped in his comfort. I mumble out an "I love you" before everything goes blank.

A/N

This part was actually written for a friend, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Hope you liked it :)